chapter 52

As Hobi grew nearer she noticed him stumble, then seem to hurry toward her

She frowned as she watched the light fade from his face and his eyes become guarded. She was scrambling to think what she had done to displease him when he came to a stop in front of her.  He did not reach for her hands.  He did not sweep her in his arms.  He just stood there staring.

“Olivia,” he said and she felt her knees buckle. 

He must have noticed her falter because he reached out to steady her. It was then that she realized he was no longer looking at her.

Before she could turn she heard a familiar voice, then the brush of a slender body, her best friend, her partner, the one who could hurt her more than anyone else on earth.

Olivia stepped in between the two of them and wrapped herself around Hoseok, hugging him tightly and giving him a kiss on the mouth.

“Damn it Hobi!” she exclaimed, “ You are….” She took him by surprise as she kissed him again.

“ You are looking fine! I knew you would fill out nicely. God! I have missed you.  Fill me in, tell me everything I have missed!  I napped too long, and then it took me forever to decide what to wear! I hope I have not missed the party!” Olivia rambled pulling him into the crowd that had gathered around them.

Izzy watched with tears in her eyes. 

Olivia had shown up in New York chic black, skintight leather pants and a cropped black satin halter topped with a short black faux fur coat. 

Izzy had been with her when she bought that coat.

Izabelle felt sick to her stomach and she was certain this was how Olivia planned it. 

No time to prepare, total “Olivia steals the show” moment.  She cursed herself for not anticipating it.

And indeed there Olivia was, still wrapped around Hobi, a hint of her lipstick staining his mouth, leading him away from her. 

How many times did Izzy have to live this nightmare?

Izabelle was looking for a way out of the room without drawing too much attention to herself.  She did not see Hobi slow after a few steps so she was unprepared when a hand grabbed her wrist.

Her first instinct was to fight until she recognized the firm grip as Hoseok’s. Without breaking stride he drew her to his side and tucked her hand in his arm.

“Izabelle and I will be glad to brief you,” he said to Olivia.

“But first, one last toast together!” he announced to the crowd gathered around.

It was clear that some were clueless, some had sensed the tension but did not understand it and some where outright waiting for a show.

Dae had arrived just in time to see everything.  She stepped up to take the focus off her friend. 

Dae knew that look, had once been torn between two lovers.  Hobi needed help and there was only this she could do right now.

“ Yes! A final toast!” she said, catching Sky’s nod that all was ready.

“ Everyone to the bar.  The cars have been called and are on the way.  Let’s end this well!” Dae said, leading the large group into the party area while Hobi led Izzy and Olivia toward the end of the gallery.

He quickly found one of the smaller classrooms and waited for Olivia to enter.  After helping Izabelle in, he closed the door behind him and tried to catch his breath. 

He felt Izzy trembling beside him and wrapped his arm around her waist holding her tightly to his side.

Olivia had not stopped talking.  She seemed nervous and she sure as hell should be.  He was trying to mentally jump ahead on what she was planning. 

There was really only one answer.  Olivia had come to make sure Izzy was on that plane tomorrow.  He looked down at Izzy and he saw she knew that too.

Olivia walked around the neat room, trailing her fingers on the wood of the large table, bending to examine the pastel chalks lined up in an orderly row.

“This is lovely,” she said turning to face Izabelle. “What is this place?”

Olivia’s voice remained steady, the smile never wavering from her face.  But Izzy did not miss the flair of emotion in her eyes as she saw Hobi holding her. 

“ What are you doing here Olivia?” Izzy asked her, her voice cool and calm.  

Hobi gave her waist a squeeze, offering her support.  He was proud of her. 

In the past she would have allowed Olivia to lead the discussion, tearing them off track and into confusion.  This time Izabelle was in charge.

It surprised Olivia as well.  She looked at Izzy like she was addled.

“Why Izzy!” she said, “ I am here to bring you home!  I told you everything was planned. A new client, the trip to Paris, all of the things we gambled on are paying off.  And you simply have to come back home, it's all riding on you.  Now, Did I hear someone offer champagne?”

She moved toward the door as if that settled everything.

“No Olivia,” Izzy said firmly. “ I told you I was not leaving now.”

Olivia looked genuinely confused.

“ Iz! Of course you have to come home! We have work to do. What are you thinking?” she asked.

And then she watched as Izzy slid a look in Hobi’s direction

“Wait….is this about Hoseok?” Olivia asked. “Seriously Izabelle! Are you not over that yet?  I mean….look, he is definitely drop dead gorgeous, and I know  how, um, ….talented he is.  But Izzy, we are on the brink of every plan we have made coming through!  He is not worth losing that.”

Izzy drew a hard breath and would have slapped Olivia if Hobi had not grabbed her arm.

“What in the hell do you think you are doing Olivia? Do you even hear what you are saying?” Izzy raged

Hobi pulled her further away from Olivia and tried to soothe her.

“It’s OK.  It really is Izzy, she did not mean it,” Hobi whispered to her, his face buried in her hair.

He needed just a moment to breathe and regain his composure because he knew Olivia meant every word of it.

“Hoseok……Hobi.....” Olivia pleaded, trying to reach him, to touch him. “You know I did not mean it that way.  I’m sorry.”

He watched as tears filled her eyes. He searched himself for a moment and felt nothing at all for her.

Years ago he would have been in turmoil trying to fix whatever made her upset.  Now he felt nothing.   He wondered if tears  actually still worked on the men in her life.  He felt just a bit sorry for them.

Izabelle tugged at his sleeve.  She searched his face but could not tell if Olivia had hurt him.  How could he not be hurt?  She felt her anger grow.

“Hoseok,” she said gently, “ this is something Olivia and I need to address alone…”

He nodded and dropped a kiss on her forehead.

“I understand.  I need to be out there sending folks off.  I will be right there if you need me,” he assured her.

Seeing that she was ok, he nodded at both of them and stepped outside.

And now we wait

And now we wait