chapter 46

Izabelle was just getting ready to text Olivia when the screen came alive with sound

Liv appeared and laughed, giving pretty excuses as to why she was late.  Izzy stole a glance around the room.  The team members were smiling and waiving off her apologies. 

Objectively Liv was a good boss.  They had worked hard to make the company competitive in workplace benefits, recognizing and rewarding creativity and potential.  The staff adored her, adored them both.  The friction was between the two of them.  It would have to be addressed.

Then she caught a glance of Rege as Olivia eased into the large couch in her office.  She wore a suit with a slim skirt and the top three buttons on her crisp shirt undone.  She carelessly kicked off her stiletto pumps and sat on the couch with her legs curled beneath her.  It was calculated to give the impression of a casual chat in the office after hours, a chance to kick back and relax together.

But watching Rege’s face Izzy slowly recognized the ache of longing there.  He was noting the long toned legs and the deep cleavage  exposed as she leaned for a drink or a report. 

Olivia called his name, her tone deeper and huskier even to Izzy’s ear.  What was going on there? She had to push those thoughts aside as Olivia began. 

Olivia spoke a few minutes praising the work she had seen so far, then she quickly launched into her questions.  They were detailed and to the point. 

Izzy sat back and watched with pride as her team eagerly and accurately answered each one of them.  They really had done an excellent job.

“ What an excellent job you have done!” Olivia exclaimed, clapping her hands in excitement. “ I could not have asked for more!! And….” She paused for dramatic effect.

Izzy felt the hairs prickle on the back of her neck.  She looked at Rege to see if he knew what Olivia was about to do. His frown as he caught her eye answered that.  Olivia had not confided in him either.

“I have wonderful news!” Olivia continued, “ your hard work has us ahead of schedule! The production team is doing final preparations and will be there Friday!”

The room buzzed with questions and excitement.  Olivia leaned forward, watching her audience, letting the buzz build. With perfect timing, she reached for a glass of champagne on the table and raised it in a toast.

“ And…..” she took a sip of the drink, making sure all eyes were on her. 

Isabelle felt her temper flare along with concern about what Olivia was planning.

“ And you all will be headed home on the Saturday afternoon flight! Congratulations on a job well done,” she finished with another toast.

The room buzzed with conversation but Izzy could only hear the ringing in her ears.