03

It seemed that what was going to be a relatively quick and simple excursion to collect herbs, turned into something more akin to finding an almost excitable Banuk in a woodland; which was what had now been placed upon Kotallo. He couldn't complain, he did choose to do this. He didn't have to follow her, he could've simply returned to the base, within those grey walls and harsh synthetic lighting that was almost too bright and could hurt anyone's eyes. But no. No, he didn't. Even if there was a chance to perturb the Oseram some more, Kotallo still opted to go outside, to venture beyond the base.

With a slow inhale, he stood on the woodland path that wound through the forestry around him. This path if it was followed would lead to Plainsong. Zo's home was largely secluded and cut off from the Tenakth clan lands which were to the west, the mountain range which the base was situated within cut right through the two settings. Kotallo could spy wisps of Blight springing up amongst what seemed to be healthy and green foliage. It was spreading, and it was getting worse. He remembered the subordinate functions which Aloy was trying her hardest to find and claim to fully restore Gaia, even if some man by the name of Ted Faro had made sure Apollo was for nobody's hands; Demeter, they needed Demeter back within Gaia for the red tendrils and clusters to fully disappear.

It seemed worse in more places than others, the small stream which was near to the base had patches of it sowed along the bank. Animals, be them birds, rodents and even fish were sometimes seen collapsed and dead upon and amongst it all. Though it couldn't kill on impact, it could cause a slow death; it smelt awful, and felt like rough parchment. For something that looked like a plant, it definitely didn't smell or feel like one.

Hearing a rustle, Kotallo naturally placed a hand against his sword pommel, he felt himself slowly frown, Nureka had somehow travelled from in front, to the side and now behind him as silently as anything. She seemed to be turning something over in her hands, even going as far as popping something into her mouth to taste it before promptly turning and facing away from him to spit whatever it was back out.

As if nothing had happened, and playing ignorant to him just blatantly staring her way, Nureka smiled and reached to her side. She had looped a small pouch over her belt, she had always intended to come out in search of supplies, so it certainly helped to have something to hand to put those supplies in. Removing his hand from his sword, Kotallo couldn't help but tilt his head and gesture to the things she was dropping into her small bag.

Nureka, as if sensing that he was going to state that if what she tasted was so awful, then why was she bringing it back with them, just simply smiled and looked to the side before letting out a curious noise and shuffling off again. She just left Kotallo standing on the path, looking utterly bewildered. It was safe to say this wasn't how he expected this expedition to go. Missions he had been on in the past all varied, but none were as odd as this one.

Even accompanying Aloy to the Bulwark, suffering Tekotteh and everything in between was a lot simpler than all of this. With another sigh, he turned and followed after her. "Perhaps if you described what it was that you were searching for, I could help?" He offered when he spotted Nureka on her haunches near the roots of a tree, he saw her head tilt as if she was contemplating his suggestion. He wasn't a child, and he wasn't likely to pick the wrong thing, so Kotallo didn't see what was bad about asking.

"Do you know how to fish?"

Kotallo just stood silent again for several moments, he needed to process that question. Nureka looked over her shoulder at him, the triangular green paint that was Cauldron like in design that adorned her face, blended in with the greenery around her yet made her brown eyes contrast quite sharply. He was trying to figure out how this question got asked before noticing she'd jumped to a stand and was now in front of him with her hands behind her back, a smile back on her face.