30

So, there was good intentions in Kotallo furthering Nureka's knowledge of these parts of his land; though he was hesitant to return to what was his home, it wasn't like last time went brilliantly, was it? But also, a small part of his mind could not help but turn to bleak musings; there was no guarantee that the Zenith threat would be quashed, there was no given that they would all win this fight, survive to live and fight another day, and Kotallo knew full well that Nureka's want and love to learn, see and explore would never be achieved.

No, he took no solace in thinking of her death, watching as she walked a little in front of him on the winding path that wound up and through the mountains around them, it was hard to imagine someone so full of life being snubbed out. But then, he had learned from many years of fighting, that death when in war doesn't discriminate, it comes for all eventually, it takes on different forms but it is something that cannot be outrun, or bargained with.

"You know, it wasn't like I didn't believe you, but this place is truly hard to get to." Nureka said with a laugh as she scratched the back of her neck. She had been following a rough path, that then met a wall, the cliffside in front of her was imposing enough as she looked slowly up at Kotallo when he stopped by her side.

"There is a route around. But it will take longer." He said with a small frown appearing on his face, considering Kotallo got the sense that Aloy was wanting to put into action whatever plan she had concocted in her head. They didn't have time really, to be out here to their heart's content. Not that time was scarce, but climbing a cliff to get to where they wanted was definitely quicker than going up and around. Not only that this way, hopefully they'd miss the Bristlebacks which tended to graze near that path.

Nureka inhaled slowly, she placed her hands on her hips and tilted her head with a sceptical look flitting onto her face. Kotallo just waited, she was clearly musing on something and whatever those musings were, she'd come out with it, she always usually did. "I mean, it's just an excuse to further test your arm out, right?"

"Here I thought you liked climbing." Kotallo commented, earning a scoff from her. Truthfully, what she said was true, but that wasn't what he was thinking of. His thoughts were merely to try and save some time, to let her explore a little more while the land was still here in case the worst-case scenario happened.

Nureka lifted a hand from her hip and wagged a finger up at him. "Robotic arm or not, I bet I can beat you to the top."

Kotallo raised an eyebrow at that, "You sound so sure you'd win." Pausing he looked at the cliff they needed to scale before looking sidelong back at her.

"You must realise, I don't really have anything to bet with. So...you'll win further respect, if you win."

Kotallo found himself frowning again with a heavy sigh through his nose. Lowering his head and shaking it slowly, he found himself pinching the bridge of his nose. He shouldn't feel himself despair, but here he was despairing slightly over her mischievous moment; he couldn't say it didn't make every day entertaining, because it did. It was truly a bit refreshing to have someone look at things in a roundabout fun way, after all, who actually enjoyed climbing up mountainsides? Who? Kotallo couldn't name anyone, bar her, but even that was causing him to double guess after her comments.

Nureka rocked on her heels and waited, watching, Kotallo was just feeling nagging déjà vu here when their spar came about. "What if it's another tie?" He questioned, reaching behind himself and grasping onto the arm attached to his belt.

Nureka tapped the side of her helmet where her temple would be, she was trying to look thoughtful. "Then that is what it is."

Kotallo just blinked slowly, he stood silently and just looked at her. "That seems too simple."