-Chapter - 39 - "Job interview" -

-Agreste Mansion-
-Gabriella's room-

Nathalie awoke to see Gabriel and Gabriella sitting across from one other, both with a serious expression on their faces, while playing chess. She quickly sat up from the bed, and noticed that Gabby was winning over Gabriel. Her daughter gathered a larger number of his chess pieces than Gabriel had.

Nathalie fixed her gaze on her daughter, scanning her for any indications of injury. When she examined her face, she observed that the redness on her cheeks was not as prominent as it had been the night before. She only wanted to make sure her daughter was okay, both physically and mentally, after everything Julianne told her and did to her.

She sat there quietly observing her daughter. But when she saw Gabby obtaining another of her father's chess pieces, she chuckled and said, "You won't win against her, Gabriel," making the Gabriel and Gabby turn to her.

Gabriel rose from his seat with a smile on his face as he walked over to Nathalie. He rested his head on her shoulder, and his arms encircling her waist. "I usually like to win, but this time, I'm proud to say that'll I'll lose over my daughter.... for the second time, in a game of chess," he says.

Gabby crawled on the bed and rested her head on her mother's lap, "I don't think father knows how to play chess," Gabby jokes.

"That is not true. Of course I do, ask you mom," Gabriel denies, raising his head from Nathalie's shoulder.

"Mhmm... I always let you win, because I know how much you hate it when you lose," Nathalie tells him, "You whine like a baby for the whole day," she adds, making herself and Gabby giggle.

His eyebrows furrowed, "I do not! What is this two against one? I don't think that's fair..." he crossed his arms, making a high-pitched sound.

"He's whining," Gabby teases.

Nathalie giggled as she looked at Gabriel, she then put her arms around him and pecked his lips as soon as he turned around, "Were just joking, darling," she says.

Gabriel gave her a smile before grabbing her face, kissing her once again.

"Oh uh. I'm going now!" Gabby exclaimed, getting up from the bed, heading towards the door.

"Gabby!" Nathalie calls, but the little girl continued to walk.

"Continue! I'm going now! Bye!" she adds before shutting the door.

Nathalie shook her head, "I didn't even get the chance to ask if she is feeling better," she states while putting her hand on her head.

Gabriel pulled her closer to him, "Don't worry. I made sure to ask her earlier, she said she was fine and that she was being honest. She's strong like you, Nathalie," he gave her a small smile, "I do want to report Julianne to the police for physical assault.... What do you think?"

She sighed, "I thought about it. But Gabriel, I don't think we should. The police will be asking our eight year old questions about what happened. I know it was traumatic for her. And I know she's already trying to forget it even happened."

"Don't you want her to pay for what she did?" Gabriel inquires.

"Of course I do, but I'm just thinking about what's best for Gabriella, Gabriel," Nathalie starred at him, "Do you understand?"

Gabriel nodded. Nathalie quickly brought her face closer to his and gave him a kiss. After they parted, Gabriel uttered, "But seriously, how does she know how to play chess that well? Who taught her?"

Nathalie chuckled, "I did," she answers.

"Makes sense," he says. Gabriel started to bring his face closer to his but Nathalie told him to wait as she quickly got up from the bed, running to the bathroom. Gabriel got up immediately, following Nathalie into the bathroom. He found her on the floor, vomiting on the toilet. He quickly went over to her and took all of her hair away from her face and held onto it while stroking her back.