XIII

𝐉𝐮𝐥𝐲 𝟕𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟏

𝐉𝐮𝐥𝐲 𝟕𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟏

Janet was in the kitchen cutting strawberries while Isiah practiced outside. Bishop was sitting on the counter watching Janet and eating strawberries. "So this is your first time eating strawberries?"

"Yes. I had grapes before and oranges but never strawberries. I asked my momma to get some but she says no."

"Well if you ever want strawberries, you can call me and I'll bring you some."

"Yay!" Janet smiled and continued to cut strawberries. "Janet, can I talk to you for a quick second?"

"Yeah sure."

"Bishop I gotta talk to Janet-"

"But she's cutting my strawberries." Janet took a bowl and put the rest of the strawberries in it and handed it to Bishop. "Don't eat them all, save some okay?" Bishop nodded and walked into the living room. "Um..I got a DNA test done."

"So, what's going on?"

"Bishop..isn't my son." Janet looked over at Bishop and sighed. "So who's the father?"

"His father is dead Janet. I got some paperwork on him and it's just... terrible. He was involved in gang violence and drugs but wanted to turn his life around but was put in jail after being told on by one of his buddies. He wanted out of jail but it looked like somebody didn't want him to live. Found him in his cell dead. There was so much blood. He struggled a lot and he was choked before he was stabbed repeatedly. They showed no mercy."

"My god. Do they know who did it?"

"Why would they try and figure out what happened to a black man? For all they know he deserved it." Janet sighed. "So does Athena know?"

"Not yet. I'm surprised she even went through with it."

"What made her change her mind?"

"So she could prove us both wrong."

"Well look at how that turned out." Janet sighed. "How are you gonna tell him?"

"I don't even know." Janet took the paper that Isiah had in his hand and looked at it. "It says on his autopsy report that he had mysterious bite marks on his ankle and neck... not to mention by his wrist and back."

"Who would go that far to bite him."

"A blood thirsty dog. Think about where he's at Isiah. If it wasn't a cellmate, which it's clear he didn't have one, it had to have been a guard, and it's evident that guard didn't want him alive."

"So he had his dog attack him?"

"Why wouldn't he? It's an option." Isiah looked through the paperwork again. "I wanna be able to give Bishop the truth and if this is the truth, then so be it."

"Now be realistic here Isiah. You can't give him this and it's half done. We don't even know who killed him plus Bishop is young, very young, think about this thoroughly before you go and give him this information."

"You're right, you're right. I'll look more into it." Janet kissed Isiah's forehead. "I love you okay? I know you want what's best for Bishop, but please, be careful."

Janet was asleep on the couch while Isiah was upstairs taking a shower. He had dropped off Bishop and came back in the house as quiet as possible since Janet was sleeping. He sat next to Janet and watched her sleep until she woke up. "Bishop went back home. I see he wore you out."

"Man did he? It's usually easy when it's not my kids but him, he has a different effect." Isiah laughed and kissed Janet's cheek. "So did you tell Athena?"

"Yeah and she..I don't even know. She didn't say much."

"Let her take it in. It's probably hard for her to know that his father isn't alive." Isiah nodded and stretched. "I'm sleepy so you wanna come upstairs take a shower?"

"Showering together now? I like this." Isiah smirked. After their shower, Isiah watched Janet read her book. "You're always reading this exact book before you go to sleep, why?"

"I like it, it's a nice book."

"The book isn't nice Janet, it's sad." Janet giggled. "Not every book needs to be happy." Isiah laid on Janet's chest and caressed her inner thigh. "Isiah?"

"Yes, love?"

"Why didn't you tell me in the beginning you had a son?" Isiah sighed. "It was public at some point but it died down afterwards. I didn't want anyone to know simply because I know I wouldn't have a kid and then leave it out there just wondering whether I loved it or not. I'm not that way, I'll never be that way but for Athena to make me look that way hurt me. I love Bishop even if he isn't my son but I wouldn't treat him like trash."

"I know you love him Isiah but you let Athena go on for 5 years about a son that wasn't yours. You allowed something that shouldn't have been allowed."

"I know but that boy feels like my son. He feels like my own and that's why I didn't take a test so soon. I really do love that little boy and I just hope whoever decides to take my place can love him the way he's supposed to be loved."

"Why would you say that?"

"I don't think I did a good job of being his father in such a short amount of time. I am only five years in and I feel like I've done nothing correctly." Janet sat up and looked at Isiah.

"Nobody can replace the love you have given him Isiah, nobody. Don't ever believe that somebody can replace you. You've shown that little boy 5 beautiful years of love and kindness." Janet kissed Isiah's forehead.

"I love you Isiah. You're truly an amazing father, I promise you are."

"Thank you love." Isiah kissed Janet's lips. "You know, if you decide to stay in Bishop's life, you'd have your first kid, you'd only need two more to finish since you said you want three kids."

"Well then it looks like I need two more to finish off the little dream of mine." Janet looked down and giggled. "Unt uh, I'm going to bed."

"Come on, let's do a little something.."

"Last time we had sex at night and you had practice the next day you was so weak in the damn knees, the coach had to tell you sit down."

"That was one time though!"

"And one time is enough, goodnight." Isiah laid on Janet's chest. "Imma get you one day."

"I'd love to see you try."