Five

Killian Johnson

I watched her as she walked toward the door. She slowly looked over her shoulder, "How does a person truly obtain happiness, Mr. Johnson?"

Hearing the use of philosopy directed at me was different, "That's a question for another lecture, Miss Walker."

She smiles softly, then she is gone. I gather my things and prepare for my next lecture. Once all of my classes were finished for the day, I changed into jeans and thin pull over to go meet the boys for a drink.

Standing under the bright FOXTROT sign made me have flashbacks to the night I met Greyson. She was captivating even from across the room in almost darkness. She radiated a confidence that drew me in.

"Killian! You made it," one of my fraternity brothers approached me on the sidewalk, "We all expected you to bail last minute."

"The faith you have in me, Marshall."

We entered the bar and found a high top table.

"Gavin is running late and Troy had to stay home with his sick kid," he waved over a waitress, "So it's just us for now."

I remembered the waitress from the last time I was here.

"What can I get for you guys?"

Marshall fell into her charm immediately, staring at her cleavage on display, "Anything off the menu?"

She smirked and turned her attention to me, "Whiskey neat?"

I nod and she returns to the bar.

"You two know each other?"

I laugh, "Jealous?"

Marhsall looked over his shoulder, "Yeah man, kind of."

She placed my glass in front of me as Marshall asked for an Old Fashioned.

"Any lucky ladies in your life lately?"

I roll my eyes, taking a drink, "Not lucky enough. How is Cara?"

Marshall diverts his attention, ignoring the question.

"I take it that things are still rocky?"

He finally looked at me, "I am getting tired of sleeping on the couch."

"Then stop sleeping with other people, Marshall."

I could tell he didn't like my opinion, but it was an honest one. Marshall and Cara married right out of High School but have struggled ever since. Cara wanted a baby, Marshall wanted a promotion. Things happened and words were exchanged. Marshall cheated but Cara took him back.

"Finally," Marshall sounded relieved when Gavin arrived, "What took you so long?"

"Work," Gavin took his seat, "I am dealing with a shit show case right now."

"Joys of being a lawyer," Marshall laughed and waved the waitress back over.

Gavin ordered his drink and started telling us about his current cases.

About an hour had passed and the bar was starting to get crowded. I was on my third glass of whiskey when Marshall grabbed my attention.

"Hot damn," he started across the bar, "The ass on that girl."

Normally I wouldn't pay any attention to his statments, but I followed his line of vision to a girl by the bartending station. Her long red hair reminded me of Greyson.

"Shit, Gavin, go talk to her."

Gavin raised his eyebrows, "Why me?"

"You're right," Marshall smacked my arm, "Get in there, Killian."