Eleven

Seth Montgomery

I finished my last class and headed towards Mr. Johnson's classroom.

I know what he must be thinking. I could feel his eyes on me when he took the phone from Avery. He thinks this is my fault, but it isn't. I knew something happened at the party, but I had no idea it was this. I had tried calling Greyson multiple times since dropping her off that night, but she never answered me.

Approaching his door, I read a handwritten note that says classes are cancelled for the rest of the day. I pull my phone from my pocket and click on Greyson's name, listening to it ring. Voicemail, again. This had been avoided long enough.

Her apartment parking was pretty bare for this time of day, but I spotted her car so I knew she was home. I tried to keep my breathing normal as I walked up the steps to her door.

I will listen to whatever she has to say...

My fist knocks on the door, echoing throughout the hall.

She opens the door slightly, it was obvious that she had been crying.

"Seth? What are you doing here?"

I smile, "I have been calling you."

"I know," she looks over her shoulder, closing the door even more til it is almost cracked, "I haven't felt like talking. I'm sure you know why."

Why is she acting so strange? I am here to try to work things out...

"Can I come in? We really need to talk, Grey."

She blinks quickly, "Now is not a good time, Seth."

"Then when is a good time, because I can't keep doing this ignoring bullshit," I place my hand on the door, "Can I please just come in so we can talk?"

Her grip on the door tightens, "Not now."

"I want to believe that you have an explanation for the photo, Grey, I really do," I swallow the lump forming in my throat, "But you are making it difficult to trust you right now."

Tears form in her eyes and she whispers, "Please, Seth, not now."

"Fine," I shove my hands in my pocket, "Whenever is convenient for you."

"I will call you, I promise," her eyes plead for my understanding, but honestly I'm just pissed off at this point.

I turn my back to her, walking to the staircase to return to my car. I hear the door shut behind me.

Walking across the parking lot, I notice a black BMW with a campus staff parking hanger on the mirror. (Knowing it was a bad idea) I peer into the drivers side window of the car. A Building the Mind of a Philosopher textbook lay in the passenger seat.

You have to be fucking kidding me. Why the hell is Mr. Johnson's car in the lot of Greyson's apartment. I start to piece together her behavior: holding the door closed, not letting me in, being so short with me.

I walk back up the staircase, knocking on her door once more.

It opens and she sighs, "Seth-"

Quickly, I push the door open, stepping inside. Mr.Johnson, who was sitting on the couch, stands up in a hurry.

"Seth!" Greyson yells from the door.

"What the fuck is going on? I saw your car in the lot," I point at him, "Why are you here?"

Greyson steps in front of me, placing her hands on my arms, "Seth, he was here to help me."

"Help you what?," my nostrils were flaring and I could practically feel the heat radiating off of my chest and face.