Twenty-Five

Killian Johnson

Monday

I wake up to the sound of running water, and I look around the unfamiliar room.

Fuck.

The door across the room opens, Ali peeps around the frame, "Well good morning."

Fuck.

"Hey," I look around for my phone or a clock, "What time is it?"

She smiles, stepping into the bedroom in a towel, "Early," she grabs her watch from the dresser, "6:12."

Thank God.

I sit up, gathering my clothes and getting dressed, "I need to get going so I can change and make it to my class on time."

She strides over to me, wrapping her arms around me, "We could always pretend to be sick today."

"I wish I could," I smile softly, "But unfortunately I can't cancel class today."

Ali frowns with sweet puppy dog eyes, "Maybe next time then." 

I kiss the side of her forehead, grab my jacket and head to the front door.

"Have a great day, Killian."

I smile over my shoulder, "You too, Ali."

My classroom is full when I arrive two minutes late. Unfortunately, tardiness is starting to become an awful habit of mine. I look around the room and notice that Grey is wearing her glasses, messy hair, and a sweatshirt It's not normal for her to look like this... and she has yet to look up from her hands.
Something is wrong.
But it is not my problem.

Throughout the entire class, my eyes keep wandering over to Grey. Not once did she meet eyes with me, or Seth, or anyone for that matter. She staid focused on her hands, which almost seemed to be shaking.

I want to ask her if she is okay, but as soon as I dismiss class- she practically runs out of the room. I never see her in the hallway at all throughout the rest of the day.

I am preparing my things to leave and head to meet the guys when my phone beeps.

Ali: Hey, would you like to join me for dinner at my place? xx

Sighing, I type out my apology:
I would love to but I have plans to meet my friends for drinks. Rain check?

The typing bubble pops up almost immediately...

Ali: No problem

I toss my bag over my shoulder and head to the lot.

Marshall is already two beers deep when I arrive at FoxTrot.

"Glad you could join us, Killian," Troy smirks, "Better late than never."

"Just be glad I am here, I turned down dinner with a gorgeous woman for you two."

Marshall raises his brows, "Are things working out between you and the student?"

I purse my lips, "No, I met someone else, someone who is not on my class roster."

"Good for you," Troy waves the waitress over and asks for another beer, "How did you two meet?"

Marshall rolls his eyes, "Beautiful women just fall into your lap. How?"

"Because I am a nice guy," I shrug.

"Yeah, yeah."

Troy downs the rest of his beer, "I think it's great that you are finally letting yourself move on, Killian."