Twenty-Three

Killian Johnson

Saturday

I am surprised at the crowd within the dog park this morning. I haven't had the chance to bring Hobbit until today...mainly because I am unsure of how he will act, and I don't want to over stimulate him. As soon as we are within the gates, he wags his tail. I find an empty bench and sit down, extending Hobbit's leach to the maximum length.

I am three chapters deep into my book when I see a dog running towards us, unleashed.

"Hey, buddy," I bend down, petting the dog and getting a hold on his collar.

"Oh my God, I am so sorry," a dark haired woman wearing athletic clothes runs over to grab the dog, "I am so so so sorry. He has learned how to unhook the leash and run off. Thank you for grabbing him. I hope he didn't bother you."

I smile, "Not at all."

She looks over at Hobbit, "What a cutie!"

"Thank you," I joke, "I get that a lot."

I see the corner of her mouth twitch into a smile, "I am sure that you do."

I pat her dog's head, "What's his name?"

"Loki," she shakes her head, "My son named him. He is obsessed with superheros."

"Your son sounds like a smart guy. Superheros are the best."

Her finger points to the bench, "Mind if I join you? I am a little out of shape, and I ran all the way over here."

She most definitely does not look out of shape.

"Sure," I push my book out of the way so she has a place to sit.

"Loki is always looking for new friends. What is your dog's name?"

"Hobbit. He is blind so it takes him a minute to get used to people and other dogs."

She places a hand over her heart, "Oh that is so sad. How did it happen?"

I push my eyebrows together, "I rescued him from the shelter. I don't have many details about his past life besides the fact that he went through a lot of abuse, but he is happy now. That's what matters, right?"

"Right," she smiles softly, "We know our dog's names but not our own," she extends her hand, "Ali."

I shake her hand, "Killian."

"It is nice to meet you, Killian."

I nod, "You as well, Ali."

Hobbit ad Loki begin to play naturally and it allows me to let all of the nerves and tension that I had, go.

"So how old is your son?"

Ali turns to look at me, her green eyes staring into my soul as she smiles, "Five. Do you have any kids?"

I shake my head, "I do not, but I teach so at the same time its like having a million kids."

"You teach?," she shifts her body to face mine, excited, "Me too!"

"I am a Professor here on Campus."

Her hand casually lands on my thigh as she speaks, "I teach third grade at Hoffman Elementary."

She catches me looking at her hand and she pulls it away quickly.

Before I can stop myself, I word vomit, "So what does your husband do?"

I can see the sense of shock on her face at my forwardness, but she doesn't skip a beat, "Ex- husband. I am no longer married to the bastard."

"I am sorry, that was not-"