𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈

—

"What just happened?"

"I killed him," I whispered, headed up the large, spiral staircase. It was darker up here. But instead of an eerie feel, it gave me a sense that it was meant to be dimmed in a sensual way. Lurking through the hallway, I leaned closer to the doors on my right, hearing low, inaudible music beam against the walls.

"Where are you?" Clay asked.

"Upstairs," I whispered, stepping past a few doors until I came to the thought of what this hallway could be for. "I think this is where the strippers are."

"Strippers?" I heard a muffled voice, as if they were eating. By the lighter, more high-pitched tone, I could assume it was Simon.

"Yes, Simon. Strippers." Clay sighed irritably.

I made sure to keep note that there could be cameras upstairs, so I walked casually down the hallway, as my ears secretly listened. "Try to find their chambers, Valentina." Clay said. I found the end of the hallway that took me back downstairs.

I fixed the strap of my dress that was slipping from my shoulder, and walked across the large Main Room to a separate door.

"The guards are everywhere," I informed Clay. "There's at least two at each door."

I passed a line of guards, a small smile on my face when the one on the right sent me a smirk. I kept the expression a stone, even when passing the one on the left who was skeptically scoping me out, his eyes close to a glare.

I made it to where I could see someone's desk that was a short distance from where I was standing. It was barricaded in sturdy glass that I could only assume was bulletproof, next to a large door. I presumed it was the chambers, as Clay has something similar.

"I think I found them," I said, turning my head as I spoke, so if anyone were watching, they could only see my lips move for a second.

Suddenly, a line of maids came walking down the hallway and into the Grand Room, where I had been stood. I watched as they all walked down the line together, and headed upstairs. I furrowed my eyebrows.

I took a breath before striding over to the stairwell, and walked back up. The darkness took over my vision again, and it gave me an odd mix of emotions. In a sense, it was comforting, as I was now out of the direct light. Though in another sense, it felt like someone could be lurking in the shadows.

I headed for one of the doors, slowly pushing the handle down to avoid making any obvious noise.

I froze, hearing a shuffle that wasn't my own footsteps.

As I pushed the door open, a hand gripped my arm. Then when I turned, everything went black.