𝟸𝟶

***

The following day arrived just as rainy as the previous one. Y/n noticed that Hagrid was still absent from the staff table at breakfast, meaning he most likely wouldn't be taking their care of magical creatures class later.

"But on the plus side, no Snape today," said Ron bracingly.

Hermione yawned widely and poured herself some coffee. She looked joyful about something

"What are you so happy about?" Ron asked her roughly.

"The hats have gone. Seems the house-elves do want freedom after all." She said calmly.

"I wouldn't bet on it," Ron told her cuttingly. "They might not count as clothes. They didn't look anything like hats to me, more like woolly bladders."

Hermione did not speak to him for the rest of the morning.

Double Charms was succeeded by double Transfiguration. Professor Flitwick and Professor McGonagall both spent the first fifteen minutes of their lessons lecturing the class on the importance of O.W.L.s.

"What you must remember," said little Professor Flitwick squeakily, perched as ever on a pile of books so that he could see over the top of his desk, "is that these examinations may influence your futures for many years to come! If you have not already given serious thought to your careers, now is the time to do so. And in the meantime, I'm afraid, we shall be working harder than ever to ensure that you all do yourselves justice!"

They then spent more than an hour reviewing Summoning Charms, which according to Professor Flitwick were bound to come up in their O.W.L., and he rounded off the lesson by setting them their largest amount of Charms homework ever.

It was the same, if not worse, in Transfiguration.
"You cannot pass an O.W.L.," said Professor McGonagall grimly, "without serious application, practice, and study. I see no reason why everybody in this class should not achieve an O.W.L. in Transfiguration as long as they put in the work."

Neville made a sad little disbelieving noise. "Yes, you too, Longbottom," said Professor McGonagall.

"There's nothing wrong with your work except lack of confidence. So . . . today we are starting Vanishing Spells. These are easier than Conjuring Spells, which you would not usually attempt until N.E.W.T. level, but they are still among the most difficult magic you will be tested on in your O.W.L."

By the end of a double period, y/n had managed to transform her snail along with Hermione. They were the only ones not given homework.

By the time they reached Care of Magical Creatures in the afternoon the day had become cool and breezy, and, as they walked down the sloping lawn toward Hagrid's cabin y/n felt raindrops hitting her face.

Professor Grubbly-Plank stood waiting for the class, a long trestle table in front of her laden with many twigs.

As the quartet reached her, a loud shout of laughter sounded behind them; turning, they saw Draco Malfoy striding toward them, surrounded by his usual gang of Slytherin cronies.

He had clearly just said something highly amusing, because Crabbe, Goyle, Pansy Parkinson, and the rest continued to snigger.

Judging by the fact that all of them kept looking over at Harry, he was able to guess the subject of the joke without too much difficulty.