𝟸𝟹

***

"Banned," said Angelina in a hollow voice, late that evening in the common room after Harry and the twins had returned from McGonagalls office. "Banned. No Seeker and no Beaters . . . What on earth are we going to do?"

It did not feel as though they had won the match at all. Members of the Gryffindor quidditch team plus y/n and Hermione were slumped on couches in the common excluding Ron.

"It's just so unfair," said Alicia numbly. "I mean, what about Crabbe and that Bludger he hit after the whistle had been blown? Has she banned him?"

"No," said Y/n, rolling her eyes . "He just got lines, I heard Montague laughing about it at dinner."

"And banning Fred when he didn't even do anything!" said Alicia furiously.

"It's not my fault I didn't," said Fred, with a very ugly look on his face. "I would've pounded the little scumbag to a pulp if you three hadn't been holding me back."

"I'm going to bed," said Angelina, getting slowly to her feet. "Maybe this will all turn out to have been a bad dream. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and find we haven't played yet."

She was soon followed by Alicia and Katie. Fred and George sloped off to bed some time later, glowering at everyone they passed Only Harry, y/n and Hermione were left beside the fire.

"Have you seen Ron?" Hermione asked in a low voice.

"Not since the game." y/n answered while Harry shook his head.

"I think he's avoiding us," said Hermione. "Where do you think he — ?"

But at that moment the Fat Lady swung forward and Ron came clambering through the portrait hole. He was very pale indeed and there was snow in his hair.

When he saw his three friends he stopped dead in his tracks.

"Where have you been?" said Hermione anxiously, springing up.

"Walking," Ron mumbled. He was still wearing his Quidditch things.

"You look frozen," said Hermione. "Come and sit down!"

Ron walked to the fireside and sank into a chair.

"I'm sorry," Ron mumbled, looking at his feet.

"What for?" Asked y/n.

"For thinking I can play Quidditch," said Ron. "I'm going to resign first thing tomorrow."

"If you resign," said Harry testily, "there'll only be three players left on the team. I've been given a lifetime ban. So have Fred and George."

"What?" Ron yelped.

Hermione told him the full story with some help from y/n. Harry could not bear to tell it again. When she had finished, Ron looked more anguished than ever.

"This is all my fault —" he started.

"You didn't make me punch Malfoy," said Harry angrily.

"— if I wasn't so lousy at Quidditch —"

"— it's got nothing to do with that —"

"— it was that song that wound me up —"

"— it would've wound anyone up —"

"Look, drop it, both of you!" Y/n spoke up "it's worse enough don't go blaming yourselves!"

Neither of the boys said anything and sat miserably.

"This is the worst I've ever felt in my life." Ron mumbled.

"Join the club," said Harry bitterly.

"Well," said Hermione, her voice trembling slightly. "I can think of one thing that might cheer you both up."