Family (2)

Ricky POV:

"Daddy? I'm scared." Taylor says to EJ as she sits in the backseat.

"It's okay, we're almost home." EJ says.

I look in the backseat and see Mason fast asleep, he didn't even get a chance to take off his gown.

A horrible thunderstorm started during Mason's graduation, everyone was sent home early and said that the diplomas would be mailed to the students.

—————

I wake up and hear a nock on the door, it's probably Taylor. I get up and open the door, she's standing there in Mason's Green Day sweatshirt holding her stuffed bear.

"Can I sleep with you and daddy?" She asks quietly.

"Yeah sweetie, come on." I pick her up and Mason walks down the hallway towards us.

"Dad," he whispers. "My phone just went off."

"Why?" Taylor asks.

"Oh it's nothing." I walk over to him.

"Tornado warning." He whispers in my ear.

"Shit." I whisper.

"Shit." Taylor says from behind us.

"Tay don't say that, that's a bad word." Mason says.

"Sorry."

"It's okay, how about you go wake up daddy and tell him to meet us in the closet ok?"

"Why?"

"We have to go in there for a bit, the storm is bad."

—————

The power went out fifteen minutes ago. The flashlight batteries we out five minutes ago. Mason is sitting up against the safe with Taylor wrapped up in his arms half asleep.

"How much longer do you think we'll have to stay in here?" Mason asks.

"I'm not sure. And I don't to let you guys go to sleep while we're in here either cause all three of you are heavy sleepers." EJ says.

"Ouch." I say.

"Dad come on, you know it's true. Remember that time we went camping and there were a bunch of boats that came by at 5am, you and me were the only ones who were asleep at that time." Mason says.

"Like father like son."

"Yep, minus the hair." EJ ruffles Mason's hair.

"I actually had blonde hair when I was little." I say.

"Oh that's right."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Huh."

—————

I walk in the backyard with Mason. The tree that Mason would only ever be in when EJ wasn't here fell down, the swing set got smashed by a tree limb, there were leaves and limbs all over the yard.

Mason and I sit on the edge of the deck, he lays his head on my shoulder.

"I'm proud of you." I say.

"For what?"

"Lots of things, the way you handled Taylor last night. That was very big brother like if you." I smile.

"Yeah, well she's my little sister. I gotta take care of her."

I hug him. "I love you son. I'm really proud of you, even though you didn't get your diploma yet."

He chuckles. "Thanks dad."

AN
Second part, was originally in my plan but hey.
Thx for reading