Page 1

He stared down into the glass of amber whiskey in front of him on the bar and thought about his life. He'd been born the fourth generation in a family that ran a very successful publishing company. At twenty his father had groomed him and then made him a chief editor. He'd worked hard earned respect and a good position. That had been Five years ago. Four hours ago, everything he'd worked for had been taken away from him. He had gone to his father's office a well-off respected man left an unemployed disowned man. He'd gone in thinking that his father who had always been an opened minded fair man would except him when he said he was gay. His father hadn't he'd said more than a few things that he hadn't been expecting. He had fired him on the spot and told him that he wasn't welcome at their home anymore.

He'd gathered his personal things from his office and left. Only saying a few words to his secretary and the editor in the next office over. Now here he sat with his glass of untouched whiskey and had no idea what to do next. He had plenty of money so finding a job wasn't a pressing concern. But what did he want to do? He guessed the next logical thing was to talk to his boyfriend and tell him what happened. That was probably best done in person and sober. Alex stood and tossed a bill onto the table before heading out and toward his car. Tony's place wasn't to far and thankfully he was home. Though Alex took his second blow when Tony started saying that perhaps they should back off until his father had calmed down. Give him a chance to come around. Alex didn't have the strength to argue. It was a week later that the blow really landed. He was at a charity fundraiser that he'd been booked months before. He was standing to one side watching when Tony walked in at the side of a man ten years older then they were. He had just moved to the balcony to get some air when Tony and his escort came out. Tony smiled at him and tried to chat, but Alex just gave a polite smile and turned to leave.

"Alex. Please there's no reason we can't be friends." The scales had fallen from his eyes he'd finally admitted to himself that all Tony had wanted was deep pockets and a good-looking man. Alex looked at the silent man behind Tony.

"Don't think he'll stay if you aren't what he wants you to be." Alex turned and left not staying for the dinner. He'd paid his money he didn't have to eat the food. He was walking down the sidewalk his collar turned up hands deep in his pockets. Part of him wished that he could go back and undue the whole thing. Another part was really glad it was over. But what did he do now?