CH12: Joining the Clubs

Kiyo POV

"There are more people here than I expected."

After class had ended for the day, Eiichiro and I went to the
gymnasium along with our group. Nearly all of the students assembled there were freshmen. There were about a hundred people waiting around. We stood near the back of the
room and waited for the fair to begin. While waiting, we glanced over the
pamphlet that students received upon entering the gymnasium. The pamphlet
contained detailed information about club activities.

"I wonder if this school has famous clubs. For example, something like
Archery." Karna said, looking at the stage where the students are lining up with their traditional wear, probably to represent their clubs.

"Every club seems to operate on a high level. It looks like many
athletes and club members here are famous throughout the nation." Tadano wondered, looking around the hall.

Even though this school didn't seem like a top-tier institution for
activities like baseball and ballet, the clubs here certainly looked great.

"These facilities are significantly more substantial than ordinary
schools. Look, they even have O2 chambers. The equipment here is so
luxurious, it puts the professionals' stuff to shame." Eiichiro surmised.

"Oh, looks like I've found your club." Akabane pointed out in the direction where the some people are standing with the archery equipment, along with the traditional archery uniform.

"It's still being decorated."

"What? Were you interested in Archery or something?" Kazuma asked.

"Yeah, I even joined the archery classes back home."

"But still, It seems like it'll be hard for newcomers to get into the athletic clubs," I said.

"Even if a first year managed to break in, they still might just be a
benchwarmer forever. I can't think that would be much fun." Eiichiro grumbled, looking somewhat disappointed.

Everything around here seemed far too orderly.

"Wouldn't that depend on one's efforts, though? Surely by training for
one or two years, anyone could get in and play." Tadano said. Trying to cheer-up the boy.

Training, huh? I didn't think I'd be able to put in that amount of effort,
no matter how desperate I was.

"Are you guys planning to join a club too?" Karna asked.

"Even if I wanted to join, the athletic clubs all look really intimidating.
I get the impression they don't accept beginners." I replied.

"Beginners should be welcomed. The more members a club has, the
more money they receive from the school. That's how they're able to get
better training equipment." Kazuma added, looking at the center stage where a girl is seen holding the mic.

"Thank you all for waiting, first-year students. We will now begin the
club fair. A representative from each club will explain their function. My name is Tachibana, the student council secretary and the club fair's organizer. It's nice to meet you all."

After Tachibana delivered the opening remarks, representatives from each club quickly lined up on a stage. It was quite a diverse crowd. The club representatives included everything from burly athletes in judo uniforms to students dressed in beautiful kimonos.

"Sounds like they're using the beginners for the money..." Akabane pointed out.

A girl dressed in archery gear stepped onto the stage. "Hello, my name is Hashigaki, the captain of the archery club. Many students may be under the impression that archery is an old-fashioned, simple activity, but it is actually a fun and rewarding sport. We welcome beginners with open arms. If you're interested, please consider joining."

"Hey, look, they seem to be welcoming newcomers. " I addressed the white haired boy standing next to me.

"Yeah, She looks friendly to me, don't you think so too?" Akabane smiled, complimenting the beautiful girl at the stage.

"Sure, let's all join the archery club, shall we?" Eiichiro chuckled, earning a few from the others as well.