Chapter Fourteen

"Has Diggory shown any signs of interest?" Theodore asked. He turned away from the window of the carriage that shows the remnants of the Roman public baths which the city derived its name from, Bath, and to Rose who sat across from him, and then to Carina who was with her maid. An odd choice to have her maid as chaperone for their trip – especially when Roman was present and has taken liberty of acting as the driver of their carriage so Muggles would not faint at the sight of it driving itself because of Theodore's invisible servants.

It was a spontaneous plan of theirs to head to Bath and see one of the beautiful museums. After two consecutive days of promenades and visits to pastry shops in the Square, Theodore decided to take Carina to a place that would be close enough to show her the place he has been to. In ancient times, England was conquered by the Roman Empire, and the Romans have left many of their culture in the island. Specifically, the architecture. Many buildings and homes in England show influence of Roman architecture; even the Black family home, Grimmauld Place, whose structure resembled a Roman villa with its Corinthian columns and layout. Yet, instead of the usual white marble, Grimmauld Place was made from dark bricks, and the columns were made from black marble; then there was the Gothic design of its roofs and windows.

The idea of going to Bath came from a conversation between Theodore and Carina when they marveled over a statue in a museum yesterday in Londinium. A piece created by an unknown artist depicting Hekate, the goddess of witchraft, and beside her was the statue of Merlin – the Kingmaker, the Druid, the wizard who created the Court of Mages, or better known as the Ministry of Magic now. He was the very first Chief Warlock.

"I remember when I was young, Uncle Regulus took me to Florence so I could learn the culture and to improve my Latin and Italian. I saw the statue of David sculpted by Donatello. It was very beautiful. Personally, I much prefer Donatello's David than Michaelangelo's when it comes to depiction. Still, the latter's is a marvel to look at." Carina mentioned while they looked at the sculptures of the unknown witch or wizard artist.

"You never mentioned that you went to Florence." Theodore said, circling the statues while his eyes remained at her figure that stood before Hekate. Admiring the goddess' beauty. The intricacy of the veil and silks of her gown.

"I do not want to brag about our travels. I always liked keeping those to myself – a moment that only my uncle and I share. Have you been to Florence?"

"No, but I have been to Rome. You?"

"No, unfortunately. Uncle Regulus and I only stayed in Florence. He told me that, as a child, I have always been enamored by the city's beauty. Once, he said, I spent about an hour just looking at the Ghiberti's Gates of Paradise. He claims that I even set a picknick blanket before the doors so I could just look at the work."

Theodore chuckled as he pictured little Carina blocking the church doors so she could look at the marvelous art. Circling back to her side, he asked, "And what about Botticelli's Birth of Venus? What can you say about that?"

She turned to him. "What is there to say? A goddess of beauty and sex immerging from castration blood and sea foam, and men were already desperately trying to get a glimpse of her naked body. While one of her own tried to save her from mortal eyes. I see it as a... reflection of how men see women now."

"A deep analysis on the painting but accurate."

Carina then leaned in and whispered, "I even asked my uncle if we could purchase the painting and hang it up in our own personal gallery."

Theodore snorted but quickly covered his lips before his laughter could cause a scene. "And what did the duke say?"

"Well, our guide found my request both funny, flattering, and spoiled, but Uncle Regulus explained that we had our own personal gallery at home... and he also said that we cannot purchase such a piece because art was created to be seen not placed in a hidden gallery. A bit hypocritical since we still have our own collection there."