Chapter Fifty-Four

Theodore hated soirees or galas, he hated having to attend gatherings that had him look like a prize mare for people to gawk at, worse of all, he hated doing absolutely fucking nothing. No progress was made in the first gala, the next one was in a month, and he secured no alliances with any of the members of the Confederation. If his grandfather was disappointed, Alexander did not show, he simply talked about the wine and about the latest news that went around in the circle. At least he achieved some of his goals – collecting information, Theodore had done nothing, he knew no one, he was simply Alexander's grandson, an accessory. He was not even able to speak with Santos!

Storming into his room, Theodore glared at the sight of the maid that was preparing his clothes for the night and a bath –

"LEAVE!" Theodore ordered her. Scared by his temper, the maid did so and ran out of the room. He told his grandparents over and over that he did not need any servants preparing his bed, his clothes, or his bath. He could do it himself. It was just another way for them to spy on him, he was no fool, he knew that maid was now heading to Alexander's study to tell of her dismissal.

Seven years, he told his grandfather. In seven years he would have Alexander as a possible candidate for Supreme Mugwump, he did the math – the calculated his movements, the steps, but seven years was an unrealistic timeline, he only said it so he could have time to return to Carina, to have time with their child. He was so sure of himself that he overlooked what would hinder his plans: people.

People have agendas on their own, and these people are not like the simple Lords and Ladies that build Magical Britain. Here, they are far more cunning, more intelligent, and have stronger hold in their principles. They will not easily be swayed.

Hubris. That was what his grandfather said to him in the ride home. Men would see the Sirens to learn about their fatal flaw, but you Achilles are an open book. Your hubris is what led to your... lack of progress today. You saw yourself above everything else, above everyone in that room that you forget. You are merely a duke. And though that is the highest honor you could have in your standing; it is nowhere near the ranks of these people. It seems you have found your match in this crowd, and you are losing.

Alexander was right. And though Theodore wanted to argue about it, he knew what he did wrong. Since he was a boy, he has excelled in everything, have outsmarted the biggest man in the room, have outtalked the Warlock, have belittled men like Malfoy with mere words – he enjoyed doing that. He enjoyed feeling powerful. But here, he was nothing.

Because of this, this failure, he only prolonged his stay in Aeaea. If he had done something that night, then maybe he could have lessened the years of his exile. No point in brooding about it now, he has failed, so he must assess, replan, he must think. And he would do it in the bath, and a bottle of wine.

He drank the first one for his sanity.

The second glass for his promise to Carina.

And the third for his unborn child.

He leaned back into the large bath, closed his eyes, and did what he does best. Think.

The thought of them was the only thing that has him working. The idea of finally coming home. As much as he loved Aeaea for its solitude, for its fresh air, the beaches, the architecture, the magic, he loves Carina more. He loves his child more. He loved Roman more. He loves Clach Dhubh because that's where they were, that's where his family was. And to get home, he needed to fix this. Fix himself. He needed someone who could... help him, even it hurts his pride.

He opened in eyes. There was one person who knew the Confederation well, one who has navigated through its people, and one who he could make a bargain with. And the thought of that person had him getting out of the relaxing bath and walk back to his room, and to the large and open windows. His mind was so preoccupied in finding that person in the horizon that he did not care if the nymphs at the ponds below saw him naked.