Chapter Forty-Four

It has been three years since she said goodbye to Hogwarts and crossed the Black Lake with her friends. Three years since she said goodbye to the life she lived fully in the castle without the scare of ruining her family reputation. Hagrid was right, Hogwarts was home, she never realized it until she smelt the familiar scent of its woods, heard the gentle breeze, and the nostalgic sight of the castle. The only thing lacking were the sight of the students running around or flying on brooms to capture a Snitch for Quidditch training.

Hagrid landed the cart a bit too roughly by his hut. He turned to the back with a sheepish look, "Sorry abou' tha'." He said then got off and carried her down the ground.

"Thank you, Hagrid," she said. "I'm in debt to you."

"Nah, yer not. Now come, let's ge' ye inside, have a warm cup of tea and a hot meal. The elves are cooking something good, I heard." He led her up the hill, the path never changed since she was last there, and into the castle.

She was truly home.

~*~

The Great Hall was silent and empty and clean, so clean that Carina was embarrassed to sit down on the polished seat with her soiled clothes. As promised, a meal was presented by the castle, dropping a plate of a full breakfast and hot chocolate. The sight of it brought her near to tears, she gobbled the food, hungry – so hungry from everything she had done recently. The moment she sat down, her legs buckled, and she had the urge to have her feet up. As she ate, the castle gave her seconds, as if it knew she wanted more, and refilled her cup, this time it was a goblet of water. Hagrid excused himself for a moment to see to something, no doubt to inform Dumbledore because as soon as he returned, the sound of McGonagall's hastened steps caught her attention.

The elegant witch approached her with a horrified look mixed with pity. And the sight of McGonagall was enough to finally break her. Carina race to her feet and ran to her old Professor, and lets the witch wrap her in a tight embrace, brushing her filthy hair, not caring of the eggs or the stain of the tomatoes, letting her cry.

"Oh, my dear," McGonagall let out a breath to stop her tears.

"Professor," Carina sobbed. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

"Whatever are you apologizing for, Black?"

Carina could not reply as her words were eaten by her cries. The fear she felt earlier finally came out and letting it through her body.

"Minerva," Dumbledore spoke. "There is a chamber ready for Miss Black at the second floor, closer to your office. Fresh clothes are laid out, and a bath ready. I do hope you do not mind donning our school uniform again while we wash your clothes, Miss Black?"

Carina turned to Dumbledore and managed a smile. She didn't mind, she would welcome it.

~*~

The bath was immaculate, and though McGonagall said that she would leave her to her privacy, Carina knew that the witch was close by to make sure she did not do anything drastic. As she laid in the bath, being scrubbed by enchanted sponges and scrubs and soap, Carina's hand fell on her belly where she felt a slight bump. She caressed the area as she said soothingly, "We're safe. We're safe..." and they were close to Danu. Close to Theodore. She could send word to him from Hogwarts without rising suspicion.

After her bath, and her body dried with magic, the Hogwarts-Gryffindor uniform came to her. Starting with a corset – which she guessed was purchased from the village for her – then with the tunic dress, the blouse with red lining, and a charcoal black pinafore, and a maroon spencer that had the Gryffindor crest at the left side of her chest. It was a seventh year's uniform as the skirt reached to cover her ankles. The shoes were also provided by Dumbledore and McGonagall, newly purchased from the village. She made a note to pay them for it all. And just as she thought that that was enough, her hair was magically set low and loose bun, letting a few strands frame her face. The curse at the back made it look like she had a bouquet of flowers.