Chapter Sixty-Six

"That's it," Theodore called out as he held the pegasus' reigns to keep it walking in circles while Theo rode on the creature's back. When the boy purposely picked up the creature's speed, Theodore chastised him, reminding the boy that one wrong move and the pegasus will be flying in the air, but after seeing the glint of mischief in the boy's eyes he knew that did not help with stopping him from doing it.

The boy does show promise in his riding. From their first lesson a few days ago, Theo showed him how he was familiar with the creatures and his strong connection to them. They spent his first day as the Master of the Horses with Theodore quizzing him about the kinds of horses, what they eat, what they like, where they were bred first, how to change their shoes, bow to brush their hair, how to tend to the feathers of the pegasus, which the boy answered all correctly. Then the next day, while he tended to the horses, the boy showed him his skills in riding, and Theodore agreed that the young lord was a natural and was ready to go beyond the fenced field.

As much as he wanted to take Theo riding, Theodore knew better than to just do so without asking permission from Carina. Theo may be his son, but the boy did not know that, and if he – Mr. Graves, suddenly took the boy without the duchess' knowledge, Theo might think it was a natural thing, and it could lead to danger. So, whenever Theo asked if he could ride beyond the fences, Theodore would always say, "I'll ask the duchess first", and he did. Every day after dinner, Theodore would go straight to the study where he and Carina would talk about their day, their lives, and about Theo.

It became some sort of a routine for them to spend the entire day going on with their lives. As much as Theodore would have wanted her there all day, Carina had duties as duchess – she was needed in meetings, inspections, and as a mother, Viktor needed her to persuade the parents of the woman he was courting. She had her hands full, yet she still manages to make the time to raise Theo, to bathe him, clothe him, tuck him in, read to him stories, and even play with the boy that it amazed Theodore. But it also had him wondering if she ever had time for herself. Maybe but only a few hours before she goes to bed.

"Yer doing well, Theo!" Roman approached them. The red head slipped into the circle before the horse could block his path. He greeted Theodore with a nod and a small smile, and Theodore did the same. "Mr. Graves, yer done with your lessons?"

"Almost, but we can end it early. Why?" Theodore asked. If possible, Theodore did not want their lessons to end, he wanted it to keep going until they finish the hour and they take the pegasus back to the stables where they would brush the creature's hair and feed it. He enjoyed those times with his son. Especially when they would stay in the stables and eat snacks – sandwiches that the cook prepared for the boy's day. They would always share one.

Seeing the disappointment in his eyes, Roman said, "Aurelius Nott is here. Delphini just arrived with him, and Silas is with them this time."

The mention of his cousin brought a disturbance in Theodore's peace. A part of him knew it was best to hide and not let them see him or else the effort Carina and the others made to keep his identity and his arrival secret would be all for naught. It was the conclusion they all came to be after they spoke with Roman, Bjorn, Padma, Blaise, and Viktor, and Barrow. To keep his identity and arrival secret, just as the Ministry did when they did not make the formal announcement on paper, but a hidden one by sending Theodore – and only him – the papers of his pardon. The reason why went deeper than pride:

You might not know, Theodore, but you do have some supporters here, was what Blaise told him when they discussed it the night of his return, as if it was enough to give him an explanation.

Supporters?

Carina sighed. The election for the next Warlock is arriving. While Kingsley, Scrimgeour, and Dumbledore are loud names for candidacy, your name flies around.