Chapter Twenty-Nine

It was the fastest bath and dressing she has ever endured. Dunked in a tub with water as cold as the ice freshly cracked from the lake, unable to heat it in the panic of haste, hair pulled and styled to a passable coiffeur with no ornaments that would be pleasing to a critique eye, a corset pulled tight, and dressed to whatever fashion her maid deemed would be acceptable by her grandmother. Carina has never felt her heart hammer in her chest since the night she learned of Theodore's disappearance. To have her uncle come was one thing, she could twist whatever truth she could concoct, give him "half-truths" as he had done with her before. But her grandmother, the Dowager, only a fool would try to lie to Walburga Black, and Carina has been that fool and knew best than to be one again.

A paddle to her bottom was the punishment she received as a child whenever she acted inappropriately for a lady, the Marchioness of Grimmauld Place. Then as she grew older, it was that bloody cane she tried breaking but cannot. And when it came to lying, Carina would not even try to think of one when it came to her and Theodore. Her grandmother knew well enough of their attachment, but Dowager cannot know that she was no longer a maiden like the goddess Diana. Or else it would be hell to pay.

Thankfully, her extended family has excused themselves from the grounds and tour Clach Dhubh to give her a more private audience with her uncle, grandmother, and cousin. Roman has decided to stay as Carina's chosen chaperone, and Theodore as he was the host and the master of the house.

Hands trembling, Carina played with her wand, unknowing to her she has been levitating a vase that was older than her family line. Roman took it from the – possibly – high fall and placed it elsewhere. Oberon has been biting the hem of her dress, begging for attention but was taken by Alcander, by wrapping his serpentine tail around the pup, and dragged it to the corner where he would entertain him.

A glass of wine appeared before her eyes. Carina looked up and saw Theodore holding it as an offering. She only smiled and downed the drink and placed it at a table where her grandmother will not see. Maybe another glass would help. But her trembling hands shook the bottle and glass too much that she cannot pour.

"You had enough," Theodore held her hands. With Roman somewhere in the room, making himself useful by hiding anything that was valuable and could be used to throw, who knows what would happen in this visit, Theodore brought her hands to his lips and kissed them. "All will be fine, Carina."

She could barely smile.

A knock on the door, Carina ripped her hands from his hold and faced the newcomer. It was Minty, and the elf announced the arrival of the Duke, the Dowager, and Miss Black.

Emerging from the door, Regulus' smile grew as he saw Carina. Whilst Malia Black greeted Theodore and Carina with a curtsy, the Duke of Londinium strolled across the room and brought his daughter to a tight embrace.

"My darling," Regulus whispered in her hair.

"Papa," Carina mustered up to say. Her hammering heart now slowing as she was in her uncle's embrace. Her eyes shifted to their cousin and her grandmother who stood waiting. The latter looking impatient and wanted nothing more than to leave. After kissing her uncle on the cheek as a greeting, Carina faced her grandmother and greeted with a curtsy, "Grandmother." She said.

Walburga hummed as a response.

Carina turned to the mentioned Miss Black. Her first cousin once removed, Malia Black. She cannot remember if this was the first time she saw Malia, but if it was not, it was the very first that she would identify the face. Dark locks like a raven, almond shaped eyes and the very identifiable silver irises that belonged to the Black family, and olive skin. The woman had mixed face of a foreigner. French, maybe...