Chapter Sixty-Five

Kieran Keep was a crown jewel sitting atop a mountain. All the way from the city, the manor could be seen, and many of its locals would make it an attraction, purposely having their meals with the sight of the place, others save up to purchase the land that had a good view so their customers can also marvel on the structure. It has come a long way from its old structure of dark stones and gloomy architecture. The walls were still made of its original stone, but the structure was remade with it taking inspiration that was a mix of Roman architecture and modern design. The forest surrounding it was no longer frightening and said "keep out", it was welcoming and though it was, the people respected the Keep to not trespass in its grounds.

Is it even trespassing if he lived there? Theodore wondered. The thought came when he was halfway through the forest, dragging along with him the unicorn who became his companion during the days of his travel. But then, another thought came. Did he even live there still? There was no talk about Carina remarrying while he was gone, maybe she waited for him despite their handfast lasting for only a year and a day.

The thought passed through his mind the moment he saw Clach Dhubh from the top of the mountain, and each step he took coming closer his mind plagued him with the possibility of Carina married to another man, the possibility of his son hating him, or worse they don't love him and wanted him gone. Maybe that was why he spent some time in Clach Dhubh, checking in an inn that had the view of the Keep, and day and night he would look out the window of his temporary lodgings and just look at the home.

No one in Danu recognized him, in fact no one in Clach Dhubh recognized him, he did not blame them. five years was not that long but still the change in him was more than what the figure of time could measure. He was five years older than his age of five and twenty, the lines under his eyes were deep, and his beard have grown so much – not to the point that it challenged Dumbledore's own, but it was a full beard that even shocked himself. A part of him wanted to find a barber and himself a good haircut and a shave, but the other part told him to wait. He was not sure why, but a feeling told him to let them see him as he was now, because this is what he was now after five years. A changed man in many ways, yes, but the only thing that did not change was his heart. It has and will always be for Carina.

And the thought of finally returning to her was what had him pay the innkeeper for his stay and mak the journey up the mountain and through the forest.

Gone were the Boggarts that haunted the woods, and the darkness that scared people from ever coming close to the mountain that held Nott Manor before. Kieran Keep was a warm and welcoming, the trail on the woods was evidence enough that the Duchess welcomed visitors, especially those who supply the Keep with vegetables, meat, fruits, wheat, and bread. Before, the Notts would use magic to have it delivered, and efficient way, but now that he looks at it, it was not human. The shortcuts of magic removed the human warmth and connection, and it was what Carina recreated in the most magical place in Britain.

The crowning in the threes perfectly let through little sunlight that brought life to the life that lived under the canopy, and a wonderful view that for a time, Theodore would look up and just watch and let the unicorn take control and follow the path. As he passed a few branches that had splinters, Theodore would purposely prick himself just so he could wake up from this dream, only to see that he was not dreaming. This was real. He was home. He was close to home.

Halfway up the mountain, Theodore had to proceed by foot, he walked beside the unicorn, making stops occasionally to rest and snack on the delicious bread sold by a faery baker and her husband. He shared the bread with his unicorn, but the creature preferred apples, so he gave the last of the ones he picked to it.

"Don't worry," Theodore chuckled when the unicorn dipped its head into the open satchel that had their food. "I'm sure the Den has more when we get there." The unicorn turned to him and blew through his mouth. "Yes, they have sugar cubes as well. And you'll love it there, you'll have a vast field to run and shite."