Chapter Sixty

"What is this?" Silas Nott demanded as he and Delphini Nott, his brother, and mother entered the court in Thistle Hall. Only, it was empty but for the Duchess who stood by a table brought from the side to the center with Roman Alston, or as suspended Lord of Thorn Hill would call him, the Duchess' Mutt, brandishing his wand and the claymore that was placed on his lap unsheathed.

Old customs said enough what it meant for a weapon to be drawn out, it was the same as a wand being held during diplomatic meetings, but due to them all wearing an Ouroboros they had no magic, and Alston made sure to bring a weapon to protect his duchess and the heir inside her. The Notts were not offended, they never hid their distaste from Carina Black's rule. It has almost been a month since she became Duchess and how easily the lairds of Danu bowed to her so easily, as if she were not an outlander, a disgraced woman.

Entering the crescent circle of the amphitheater set-up of the room, the Notts realized that it was not only Carina and Roman present. Mad-Eye Moody sat on the table by the Duchess; the werewolf, Remus Lupin stood at the other side; Kingsley Shacklebolt stood not far as a representative of the Ministry no doubt; then there was Theseus Scamander, a retired Aurors, but still an measured man in the field; and then Nymphadora Tonks.

Neither of the family bowed or curtsied as they met Carina, Moody sneered at them for that. After all, he had a wooden leg that ached and yet he would still bow to his Duchess. Carina eyed Delphini's necklace, the emeralds she sent as a gift and congratulations on her wedding, according to Blaise the Notts were shocked to receive the gift as they made sure the union was done in utmost secrecy.

"The necklace suits you well, Lady Nott," Carina greeted Delphini.

Delphini kept her narrowed gaze at her and lets her husband speak, "why did you bring us here?"

"Your grandfather's sentence has been given," Carina began. "The Warlock spoke to me earlier about it." Just before she came to collect her father from the Ministry's hold, and now he was in the manor waiting for her, celebrating with the others for his release.

Two weeks has passed since the last ball and the Ministry took their time in giving their decision on the conspiracists and on Sirius, but now that it was there, Carina wasted no time in calling for the Nott family that has been entrapped in Thorn Manor for almost two months now. During those times, the families in Clach Dhubh were now warming to her rule, the Murreys and the MacDonalds' armies were no longer at the mountain while the two rebels were imprisoned under Thistle Hall. The new lairds she appointed for their lands have been loyal to her and swore to do so, but there was still hesitation brought by her scandal. An issue that she will resolve when the time comes. Once she was ready. For now, another way to secure her hold on Danu was standing before her and still believe it was theirs by birthright.

When she came to visit Cantankerus Nott in his cell under the Ministry, she pitied the old man slumped on the ground, wearing dirty clothes, freezing in the chill the cell brought as it was deep in the earth, the sight of him brought back memories of her grandfather, and she did not want her grandfather to be treated as such, that was why she had the Aurors transfer Cantankerus to the Tombs. It would cause some issues with the Warlock, but she could speak to him about it if he questioned her. But when they hauled the man, he spat by her feet and said, "This changes nothing, bitch."

"Bitch, whore, it's getting old, don't you think? It's about time you make up new ones," Carina replied to him. "I'll make sure to tell your family about your new accommodations the next time I see them."

That did not help Nott's mood, he tried to attack her, but the Aurors held him back and dragged him away. Before she left the cells, she saw Alexia Black in one of them, she made sure to curtsy before Alexia, mocking her, and then left.