Chapter Forty-Six

Amos Diggory was pacing and shouting, that was one. Even from the other side of the door, Carina could hear the old man go on an on, she would commend for speaking that way to the Dowager but he had no right. Even when she hated her grandmother, Walburga Black had nothing to do with her wrong, so if there was anyone who Amos should be degrading in such a way was her. And it was that anger on how he spoke to the Dowager that gave Carina the drive to finally step into the room.

"This is outrageous! Do you know the embarrassment we are facing? That my son is facing?!" Amos bellowed, but Walburga remained stoic. No sign of offense or interest on her face, she even had the nerve to ask Malia to add more sugar into her tea before taking a sip.

"Good, you're here," Walburga spoke, acknowledging Carina's presence.

Amos fell silent, his fuming-red face turned to her. He was the only one standing in the room, the Dowager and Malia sat on the couches, and Cedric remained unmoving, his face unreadable.

Carina said, she turned to Amos. "Mr. Diggory."

Amos sneered. "Lady Black."

His eyes fell on her dress, specifically at the middle. She placed hand on her womb, hiding it from him, but showing her finger that did not don the engagement ring on her forefinger but a gold signet ring with a rough cut, gold topaz placed on her index finger. No sign of affiliation to either family – not the Notts, not the Blacks, nor the Diggorys.

Seeing his glare, Carina spoke, "I understand the hostility, but it is directed on the wrong person, Mr. Diggory. My grandmother or my cousin has anything to do with it."

"You are most certainly right, Lady Black," Amos hissed.

"Why don't we all sit down –"

A pamphlet was thrown on the table, numbers of them – letters, the pamphlet, and the copy of The Prophet with the headline: BLACK FAMILY SECRETS REVEALED! Then it changed to another headline that said, SIRIUS BLACK ALIVE! Then another, CARINA BLACK, LADY OF LOOSE MORALS. The last one had Carina clench her jaws, but it she kept her composure. She glanced at Cedric's way and saw his eyes fixed on the papers on the table, one of them must be for him, a letter of apology or a mockery.

"Do you know how many of those scandal sheets flooded our house?!" Amos exclaimed. "How many journalists have been harassing my family?! My son?!" He pointed at Cedric, still unmoving. "And yet, even after all that, he still went on a limb and looked for you! Do you know the embarrassment we are facing? How do you think my son will be able to walk those streets again?! People are mocking him, calling him a fool! No one would respect him now, not in his work, not in the clubs, and not in our circle of friends!"

Carina glared at him. "Then I suggest you find a new circle if that is the case."

Amos crossed the threshold, towering over Carina. When Barrow was about to approach to push him back, Carina held up her hand to stop him.

"You dare talk to me like that – talk to my son like that after you've ruined both our families?! After you've loosened your skirts like a cheap whore, and now you are carrying that criminal's bastard!"

Carina kept her head up as she looked up at Amos. "I understand that you are upset –"

"Upset?! I am more than upset! My family's reputation is ruined because of your doing!"

She forced herself to not let her composure fall, swallowing, she continued, trying her best to keep herself steady even when the cracking of her voice gave her away, "but I will not stand here and let you insult my unborn child, nor will I let you continue to berate my grandmother and my cousin. I was wrong, I admit it, and I am sorry for all that is happening to our families, and I am sorry about Cedric... I am willing – I am facing the consequences of my actions."