Chapter Sixty-Four

East Port was new, only five years since it was established and yet it was bustling with ships owned by merchants. Many had flags of the families that owned the ships, and all he recognized – the flag of the Murreys, the MacDonalds, the McKenzies, the O'Niels, the Ross, the Alstons, and even the Notts, some held crests of families in the south, such as the Malfoys, Blacks, the Potters, the Longbottoms, the Patils, and the Weasleys, that was a new flag but when he saw the two Ws intersecting one another and the name below it stamped on one of the shipped crates he knew it was the family's shipment. Weasley's Wizard Wheezes was the name of the rising name of the family, and all thanks to the trouble making twins who established the family's enterprise with toys and jokes, which then grew to different kinds of trades.

When he came to France in search of a ship home, he was confused when he heard a captain said that his ship was bound to East Port, Danu. When he left, there was no East Port, he even questioned the captain if he was speaking the truth, which he should not have because later the man doubled the price of his fair, still to answer his question the captain showed him the map – a new one, as it had the port written on the very edge of Danu lands.

"There, that's East Port." The captain sneered. "You can read it there – unless you don't know how to read." Theodore did not bother tell the man that he can. "The new Duchess built it five years ago, construction took about three months, then ships started pouring in. A few at first, then the war ended, and everyone wanted in. Easier travel for those in the north, but I like it because she's far cheaper than the one in the south... travel is long, yes, but there are times when the Duchess comes to the port, and she is a far better sight that the Earl in Catchpole."

Theodore did not appreciate the comment made last, especially when some of the wizards agreed, but it was the only ship leaving that day, and after about a month of traveling the Muggle way from Greece to the alps, and now to France, he just wanted to get on the first ship he could find to get home, even if it meant him paying double and pulling his weight in helping them.

They had one stop before sailing to East Port. Ottery St. Catchpole, and for a time, especially when he saw the docks, Theodore had the urge to jump ship now and see the Goldsteins. Maybe if Maisie was there or even the twins, he would have but there were no signs of the Goldsteins when they disembarked the shipment – one of which belonged to the Weasleys. Then he was back on, this time, the travel up.

The North Sea was not only the coldest, but it was also the most dangerous with the waves large and strong. They came across a storm in the middle of their sail, if he were not aboard, Theodore would not have saved their lives and parted large waves to save the ship as they journeyed north. It was only when he dispelled a large one that almost sunk them that the captain gave him a bit of respect and gave him a proper meal and a bed to sleep for the night.

The next day, they arrived in East Port. The sight was foreign to him as the last he remembered, there were no ship ports or a city in the east of Danu, yet here it was. A live and bustling city with ships bearing flags of investors. The homes and structures built were large for trade and was fitting to the theme of the old castle that stood atop the cliff. And then, there was the large flag that rose above the homes – a gray flag with an image of an ouroboros framing a unicorn woven in gold. The Kieran flag, the family who rules Danu. Not the Notts, not the Blacks.

It was only after he and the others finished putting out the shipment did the captain let him go, and though it was out of their agreement, the man gave him half of the fair he paid upon embarking the ship. For saving my life, the life of my men, my way of living, the captain told him. Theodore accepted the payment, thanked the man, and then left. He did not need the Sickles, but it came in handy for purchasing provisions, a saddle, and a gray unicorn he needed to ride west, following the setting sun towards home.