Chapter Thirth-Eight

"One more and I swear I will chain ye ter a tree!" Roman hoisted Viktor on his shoulder after finding the boy cramped under the seat of the carrier with Oberon the puppy in his arms. Since learning of Carina's departure, the boys have been moping and begging that he went to London to protect her, but Carina told him countless times that his place was in Clach Dhubh where he could help Roman and Theodore, and to keep watch on them in case they did something stupid. But the boy was thick-headed and kept trying to find a way to sneak into the carriage.

"Let me go, ye brute!" Viktor punched and kicked but Roman's was iron.

"Brute?! If ye find me as a brute now, I wonder what ye'll call me when I am." Roman placed him down and held the boy's shoulders to keep him from slipping into the carriage. Oberon the puppy came running after Viktor and bit on the hem of his trousers, dragging him towards the carriage.

"Even Oberon wants me to go!" Viktor argued, picking up the dog.

Before Roman could say another word, Carina came, bending to his height and said, "In a few months-time, you will be attending Hogwarts."

"Or Dumrstrang," Theodore mused, picking invisible dirt in his nails.

"And you will miss all of this," she continued. "In a few days, you'll be visiting Ethan and Elias at Catchpole, and I promise that I'll be there to see you."

"But who will protect you, milady?" Viktor pouted. Theodore rolled his eyes.

Carina dramatically gasped, "I am offended that you think I can't take care of myself! Should I remind you who caught Fenrir Greyback?" Viktor shrugged and sighed. "But you're kind and don't give me boring chores. He on the other hand," he pointed accusingly at Theodore, the duke raised a brow. "He makes me shovel Alcander's shite!"

"Would you rather go back and shovel dragon shite then?" Theodore countered.

"I'll make sure to tell His Grace to give you a more dignified job," Carina brushed his hair back and then pulled him to an embrace, but not too tight to not squish Oberon. "I think, Oberon likes your company."

"He's a good dog, unlike someone," he glanced at Theodore.

"Should I remind you that I am your duke?" Theodore argued.

"Do you mind look out for him?" Carina said.

"You're leaving Oberon with me, milady? But what about you –"

"I think he would prefer the space and air here than in London. Promise me that you'll take care of him?"

Viktor nodded and swore. Oberon barked happily and looked at Carina. The Marchioness leaned down and kissed the boy's head and then did the same with the dog. "I'll miss you the most, Viktor." She whispered.

"I will miss you too, milady."

Carina faced Roman and brought him to an embrace. "I'm sorry for everything," she whispered to him. He hummed as a response. Forgiveness. "Please, look after them... Theodore especially."

"I will," Roman murmured. "And you, look after yourself, Black."

"I love you, Alston."

"And I, you, Black."

After one last squeeze, Carina finally faced Theodore. The Duke kept a straight look, no sign of the tears he shed last night. "Thank you, Your Grace, for... being a generous host."

"Nott Manor and Clach Dhubh welcomes you will open arms, always, my lady," Theodore bowed. "Goodbye, Lady Black."

Jaw clenching, Carina curtsied and said, "Goodbye, Your Grace."