Chapter Seventeen

Granville's studio always brought some sort of serenity in Roman's mind, even if the liberal arts displayed and the loud parties and mingling of minds and bodies says otherwise. Elbow deep in his work, hands covered with charcoal, Roman's eyes remained focus on his work, the model who stood at the center wearing a white gossamer dress that barely hid anything, and the music of the fiddle that Morgan played at the side.

"I don't think Bianca is fond of Mozart, Morg," said Roman, smirking at the model's direction then at Morgan who decided to play a different song. This time, the music played was a song played was something more that the woman was familiar with. A piece that came from her home across the channel. It brought a smile to her lips.

During his work of getting the body pose and correct proportion of Bianca with her arms flung up while holding a paper lantern, a sketch for his actual work that would be at a much bigger canvas with a background of the mountains in the Highlands and the large stone that he came across in one of his treks in Danu, a man entered the room that they have been occupying by themselves. Usually, Roman would not heed mind to anyone who entered while he was in his work, but the sound of the familiar voice had him break his concentration.

"Mr. Bridgerton, care to join us for tonight?" Roman greeted.

"I hope I wasn't intruding a private work," Benedict said. "I was just on my way to the other room when I heard the music."

"Not at all." Roman rose from his seat and spoke to Bianca in Italian, telling her to rest. As the model wore her dress with Morgan's assistance, Roman circled around to hand her a glass of wine and a newly lit cigarette. After Bianca said her thanks, she left telling Roman that she would call for Ann.

"Grazie, Bianca!" Roman said, his accent still rough, and gained a comment from Bianca and a short tutoring on how he should say it. After numerous failed attempts, he finally perfected the Italian word. Satisfied, Bianca kissed Morgan's cheeks and left, and just as she did another woman entered. It was Ann.

"I didn't know you spoke Italian," said Benedict, taking his place beside Roman.

"Just started learning when I went there a couple of months ago," Roman replied. His attention on Morgan, gracefully placing the cigarette between his lips and then taking his time to light it with the expensive looking lighter.

"Right, Granville mentioned that you left for a year." Benedict took out his pencils, he was about to start his work when he saw Roman's page. "That is magnificent."

"Thanks," Roman blew out away from Benedict and then handing him a cigarette from his own pack. His offer received a look from Morgan as the cigarettes they took were could only be found in the magical world, and from special tobacco plants. Roman winked at him and still lit Benedict's stick.

It was not that the added ingredients to the magical cigarette would have an effect on Benedict, it was just because of the magical law where the distribution or selling of magical products to Muggles were illegal. Even if those things were a donation or out of charity. Because of this, all the cigarettes that Roman and Morgan smoked in Granville's studio were burned by magic, leaving no trace of it existing that would have Aurors tracing back to them or the Muggles. This was the only place they could be free to do as they please, out of their own magical walls and from Muggle society, they could not risk the Ministry finding out and obliviating their existence from their friends' minds. Especially Granville, who has been nothing but kind and a loyal friend.

Not that they did not have loyal friends of their own. Theodore and Carina knew of Roman and Morgan's relationship, have always known since they were in school, but they could not possibly bring them to parties like this. It would be a horrendous scandal if the Duke and Marchioness were to be found in such a place. And life threatening.