: ̗̀➛ Chapter 06

Note: Italicized sentences in this chapter means they were spoken in English.

***

"In fact, none of us are completely free from prejudice. We all have preconceived ideas about others." Ms. Park turned to look at her students, "Here, "free from" means the lacking in or unencumbered by. Anyone want to interpret this?" She begins tapping the board.

Hee-seul blatantly yawned, not even afraid when Ms. Park turned to look at her, "Hee-seul," she calls the girl who stares at her for a second before turning her attention to the window, completely ignoring her surroundings while displaying no emotion at all.

Ms. Park releases a sigh, about to lecture the girl but one of her students from the back suddenly stands up, face paler than normal and beads of sweat start to form on her forehead.

"Yes, Hee-su," she calls her, expecting an answer to her question.

"Ms. Park, I need to use the bathroom," she instead said.

"Okay, go," Ms. Park nodded her head which made Hee-su begin limping out of the classroom with her arm wrapped around her stomach.

Ms. Park turns back to Hee-seul, "Moon Hee-seul," she softly calls her, "Being good at the written exam isn't enough, you still need to participate in class."

"People will judge you just because they can," Hee-seul answered in English which made most of the students turn to her, amazed by the posh accent and completely forgetting that she had lived in Europe for a long period of time.

"Wooah," Dae-su marveled, "Though I don't understand everything you said, that sounds fancy,"

"Thank you, Hee-seul ah," Ms. Park responded, "But I need a more thorough explanation that everyone can understand."

However, Hee-seul said no words after that, staring off into the distance again. Nam-ra, who sat beside her, turned to look at her, an opened book in hand before she sighs. She places the book flat on the table before she raises her hand slightly.

"Class President," Ms. Park calls her.

"The truth is, all of us have some sort of prejudice. We all have preconceptions about other people." Nam-ra answered, voice in monotone.

"Hmm, okay. Nice." Ms. Park smiled warmly at her and although she wasn't looking, Hee-seul scoffed.

"Next, Bare-su. Stand up."

From under their desk, Nam-ra pinches the thick fabric of her leather jacket before tugging it down, earning the attention of the lass. Hee-seul turned to her and although she had no emotion, her eyes were asking.

"You should stop frowning like you have tons of problems." The class president told her.

"I do have tons of problems so I should be frowning," Hee-seul answered back.

Nam-ra places her hand on top of Hee-seul's, squeezing it once to show that she understands her, "I know how much you hate her but don't let your hatred affect your academic standing."

Hee-seul smirked, "If I want to get out of this school, the least thing I should worry about is my academic standing."

"If I told you that you're my only friend and that I'm going to get really lonely if you leave, will you reconsider your plan?" Nam-ra whispers back to her, kind of normal but there's a hint of hope in her voice.

Hee-seul's eyes turn into a slit, "Hey, Nam-ra Choi. Are you guilt-tripping m—"

However, her statement was interrupted when the door suddenly slammed open, murmurs erupting around the classroom as Kim Hyeon-ju walked– or more like staggered inside the classroom. It was followed by the squeak of the wooden chair as it got pushed backwards when Dae-su stood up.