: ̗̀➛ Chapter 57

Anger...

Hee-seul has never been good at suppressing her anger, finding it easier to express her annoyance and anger than sadness and grief.

So, when the tears of anguish dies and anger ignites her broken heart, she already saw it coming.

"The chopper will fetch you tomorrow morning. Prime Minister Moon requested for a discrete transfer so you don't have to worry about people finding you out. He wants to take you to Seoul as soon as possible." The now Commander in charge, Choi Sungwon stated.

Hee-seul just stared directly at his eyes, the table in between them.

Choi Sung won silently shudders as his eyes met the pair of dark eyes that seems dead. The little spark it once had has completely vanished and now, it feels like looking at the eyes of a porcelain doll. Dark and eerily empty.

Choi shifted awkwardly, obviously hesitating to the words on the edge of his tongue, "Hee-seul ah. Your uncle told me that you must know something about Lee Byeongchan. What exactly do you know?"

Met with the lifeless eyes of Hee-seul, he immediately continues, "Don't worry. I was the only one that your uncle has told to. No one knows, aside from him and me."

It was a one-sided conversation. Just like what's happening since the day they've arrived in the quarantine facility.

And so, Choi released a deep sigh for the nth time this week, "You know that if you don't speak up, the death of your love ones will not receive the justice they deserved?"

"Justice?" Hee-seul smirked sarcastically, "It really came out from your very mouth? Justice is not real. Especially not from your hands."

"Hee-seul," Choi started, "I've tried so hard to understand you but I think the anger you are feeling is subjective. We did it for everyone's sake. It's not like we murdered a whole city without reason."

Hee-seul stood up, turning her heels so her back is facing him before she speaks, "Oh you did. You killed 10,000 none infected residents because you ordered to bomb them."

Choi's eyes widen in disbelief. How could this girl know the exact estimated size of population that were not infected? Those papers that hold that information is confidential!

"Y-you.." before he completely lose his composure, he breathes in and out, "How can you even be sure that they're not infected?"

"I'm not," Hee-seul answers, "but you are not certain, too. Returning your question Chief Choi, how can you be so sure that the whole population of Hyosan is already infected?"

"Just like what I've said. There's reason why we need to do that. It's a small liability compared to the outcome we would get if it is not immediately contained." said Choi and this time, he regain his calmness.

This time, Hee-seul turns around to look dead at him, "Do you even understand why I'm mad?"

Choi was silent so she took this as her cue to continue, "I'm not mad just because you did your job as a soldier. I'm mad because I'm a victim too and I've lost so much because you left as alone and then proceed to bombed us. You did enough but not the best. You can't dictate what a victim would feel. Their feelings isn't in your hands and you can't just stop them to feel anger just because you did your job and it is the only solution you have. You can't just expect us to understand all of you yet you can't even understand where we're coming from. We were the one who lost so much, not you or not anyone in the other cities. It's us as in the survivors."

"Maybe my anger is really subjective, Chief Choi. But that's on me. If you expect me to understand your choices and praise all of you for the heroic deed you've done, just forget it. I'm no one so stop explaining to me. I don't even know why you are so adamant of explaining your side to me." she stated, being sarcastic when she said heroic before turning around and crossing the distance between where she stood and the door.