Chapter 3 - Living In The Palace

One week later…

Zhang Shen was sitting on the throne in the hall. He was discussing with the ministers about politics and economics.

Suddenly, two royal guards came in. They were kneeling in front of Zhang Shen in honor of the emperor.

"Your majesty…" they greeted.

"What's the purpose for both of you coming here?" Zhang Shen asked seriously.

"We apologize for disturbing this discussion but there's a lady that wants to meet your majesty…her name is Xiao Qi…she has Empress Dowager Zhang's pendant and told us that it's from you, your majesty…" they informed him.

All of the ministers there were questioning each other about what they just heard. An emperor gave a royal pendant to a random lady, there must be something between both of them. That's what they thought.

"I see…bring her to come in after I end this discussion…" he commanded and they were both pursuant to the order.

Meanwhile, Xiao Qi was sitting in another hall, waiting, she was amused by every decoration and architecture in that hall. Fancy and creative hall.

Abruptly, someone was getting into that hall.

"Hmm? I didn't know that there'll be people in my favourite place?" a feminine voice comes from the door. She closed the door.

Xiao Qi stood up and bowed to the lady. She wears an elegant hanfu that brings an attractiveness to anyone who looks at her.

"Young lady…may I know who you are?" she asked Xiao Qi.

"U-um…I'm Xiao Qi, I'm here to meet Emperor Zhang…" she replied with her head lowered.

"Zhang Shen? My son?" she asked and Xiao Qi nodded.

"Lift up your head, young lady…" she commanded.

Xiao Qi slowly lifted her head and looked at the woman in front of her. She had long decorative nails, beautiful eyebrows that were drawn perfectly but it looked natural.

Her white pale face didn't look like it had any powder on it but you could see a blush on her cheek and light lipstick on her thin lips.

Was she one of Zhang Shen's consorts?

"Young lady…your name was Xiao Qi?" she asked again.

"Yes…Empress Zhang…" she answered and she giggled.

Xiao Qi looked at her confusedly.

"What did you call me just now?" she asked again.

"Empress…Zhang?" she asked. Afraid she might make a mistake by calling the royals.

But again, the woman laughed.

"Young lady~ I think you didn't hear me clearly just now~ Zhang Shen was my son~" she said gently without even any anger.

"Uh! I-I apologize! My mistake when calling you Empress Dowager Zhang!" she's panicking while bowing on the floor.

"It's okay Xiao Qi~ everybody makes mistakes~" she helps her to get up.

"You're too king, Empress Dowager Zhang…" Xiao Qi said.

"I used to be like this~ may I know what's the purpose of you coming here today? Meeting my son?" she frowned in questions.

"One week ago, Emperor Zhang was telling me that if I need any help, I can just find him…and I was very desperate for help now…" she said.

"May I know what's the matter?" she asked.