Chapter 18 - Poisoned

When The Empress went back into the kitchen, Xiao Qi was still at her place, doing her work. Instead of gathering in the kitchen and seeing Jiang Song and Yanyu, she'd rather be sweating outside and have her peaceful time.

"Hah…finally, I can give it—" Xiao Qi turned around and saw Zhang Shen already standing behind her.

"M-my lord…" she stuttered to see him with an angry expression.

"What are you—" Xiao Qi stopped when he suddenly took the vegetable basket in her hands. He gives it to the chef inside and comes back to Xiao Qi.

"Sit…" he ordered coldly.

Xiao Qi just followed his order to not burn him more.

They were sitting beside each other until Zhang Shen laid his head on her shoulder. He also grabbed her waist and hugged her from the side. He looked like a kid from Xiao Qi's sight. Xiao Qi's body immediately became stiff and hard. She didn't expect this kind of thing with him.

Who knows that the Emperor who is majestic, has high intelligence and has no fear in war was just a pampered husband towards his wife. The only weakness he shows to her.

"Zhang Shen…" she called him by name because felt comfortable with him.

"You called me what just now?" he immediately headed up and looked her in the eyes.

"E-err…Z-Zhang Shen?" Xiao Qi now panicked and feel stupid by her own action.

"Said it again…" he said without any expression.

"My lord, I—"

"Said it…again" he repeated.

"Z-Zhang Shen…" she called him by name again and suddenly, he hugged her more tightly.

"Is there something wrong?" she asked because of worried if her words would either make him mad or disappointed.

"Call me by name, again" he said.

"Zhang Shen?" she started to giggle when he started to become more clingy to her. It looks so cute to her. She hopes the time has stopped now and this moment will never change.

"I want to hear more and more~" he said to her.

"Maybe later, Zhang Shen…" she teased him.

"Maybe tonight~" he smirked at her.

"Maybe not!" she pinched his arm without hesitation.

"Ouch! That stings!" he caressed his arm.

"We are still outside!" she whispered to him.

"Then, let's go to the chamber~" he whispered back to her.

"Flirty!" she giggled.

"Why not? I'm your husband anyway~" he said.

"But, you're still my Emperor and I need to respect you like how other consorts do…" she said.

It breaks his heart to hear what she just said but he keeps his smile on because she was right in this matter.

"Then, let's have further talk when you have finished this one…" he said, walking out from the kitchen.

Xiao Qi felt a bit guilty when his voice sounded like he was disappointed. She didn't want him to disappoint by a small matter but who knows this Emperor can feel that kind of thing even for the smallest things.
.
.
.
.
.
.

The dining hall is full of joy and laughter. Jiang Song's parents arrived earlier than everyone thought.

Empress Dowager Zhang looked happily as always followed by other consorts. Chenguang is never unfriendly to the elders and same goes with Yanyu, they have this natural behavior in them.