Chapter 6 - His Gaze

Xiao Qi immediately pulled her hand from Zhang Shen's grip.

"Xiao Qi, what happened to your hands? Why is it bandaging like that?" he is still asking.

She looked away and didn't dare to look into his eyes.

"Xiao Qi…" he insisted.

"It's just an injury when I'm using the Guqin, I didn't be careful enough, Sir Zhang~" she smiled.

"Don't lie to me…" he said.

"Was my acting that bad?" her heart whispered.

"No, I'm not," she said, trying to control her awkward expression.

"Don't you know what's the consequence when you're lying to the emperor?" he threatens.

"I know…" she lowered her head as his  cold gaze struck down her spine.

"Then, why are you lying?" he asked.

"How did you know I'm lying?" she asked him without answering his question.

"I think you still need more ethics lessons…answer my question before asking…" he said. There's no more gentleness in the conversation.

"I apologize for my wrong deeds…your majesty…" she said, finally called him ‘your majesty’ after a long time using ‘Sir Zhang’.

"Your majesty, there's no use telling how my hands get injured because in the end, I'll just get punished…" she said.

He was surprised by it. What did she mean by that?

"What do you mean? Someone threatened you?" he asked.

"No, there's no one but I know how the harem is, even though I've been sitting here for just a month…" she said and the scene went silent.

"I'll not ask again if that's what you want…" he stood up and was about to walk out.

"But I don't want to know this kind of thing again from another person's mouth…you know what I might do if I get pissed off…" he said, coldly. His sharp gaze might strangle her neck more tightly than a rope or chains.

"Yes your majesty, I apologize again for my wrong deeds…" she bowed down.

Zhang Shen walked out from her chamber and returned to Chenguang's chamber.

"Why are you still here, your majesty?" she teased.

"Who's the one that hurt her?" he directly asked and Chenguang smirked.

"Have a cup of tea, Zhang Shen…" she said, sipping the tea.

"Who?" he's still asking and didn't even hear her.

"When the feelings start to bloom, the flower will be fragrant and gorgeous but on the other side, there are thorns that'll always be jealous of what the flower has without knowing there's fire waiting for it…" she poetically said.

"I want to know who's the thorn…" he said.

"The third consort…might be the answer…" she answered.

Zhang Shen breathed out and sharply looked at the table.

"Jiang Song…" he mumbled.

"You got your answer…now, I want my reward~" she smiled, which looks like it has thousands of meanings.

"Okay…what's that?" he just flows with it.

"I want to be Xiao Qi's art teacher…" she wished.

"Okay…" he replied without hesitation.