Chapter 16 - Sweet Backstory

"Xiao Qi!! No!!" Zhang Shen shouted.

"M-my l-lord…" she called him from afar, there's blood that coloured her white hanfu. She's dying in agony.

"Xiao Qi!! Hang on there!!" he ran towards her but his feet won't move, it feels like it was already glued to the ground. He can't move even though he's using all of his energy.

All the things that he could do was standing there, seeing her hands trying to reach him while she's dying. His tears flowing as he can't do anything to help her.

Then, his eyes widened to see a man who looked exactly like him and stabbed her back with a sword. She didn't move right after that and it made him fall on his knees.

He can't watch how she's trying to call him with her last breath. He lowered his head and cried with crowd chest.

Suddenly, he saw someone's foot in front of him. When he looked up, it was himself, face with blood of hers. That person didn't look guilty at all.

Furiously, Zhang Shen choked that guy down and he still didn't show any expression, even pain.

"I'M GONNA KILL YOU!!!" he shouted.

"For what?" the guy replied.

"For killing her, I'm gonna make you suffer!!!" Zhang Shen said and that guy suddenly disappeared.

And he appeared in front of Zhang Shen in the blink of an eye. He bent down and looked directly at Zhang Shen's face.

"Aren't you the one that wants to do that so badly?" he smirked.

Don't talk nonsense!!!" Zhang Shen is still unsatisfied with a jerk in front of him.

"Look at yourself and me, aren't we the same person?" he said.

"What…" Zhang Shen was stunned for a while. He looked at himself and suddenly, there's blood covering his hands.

He doesn't know how he got it and he looked beside him, there's Xiao Qi's body and he looked himself in the mirror at his left side. He has the same appearance as the guy just now who killed her.

Zhang Shen was looking for the guy that looked exactly like him but he started to understand that he was that guy, he was the one that killed her.

With a sword at his hands, his knees began to shake and he fell on his knees again, with regret and got her body but it was too late.

She was too cold, the blood coming out from her injuries was like a river. He tries to wake her up even though he knows that he couldn't.

"Xiao Qi!!!!" He screams her name with her body in his arms.

"Don't leave me like this…" he cried hard on her but it'll change nothing. Then, her body vanished from his eyesight.

"Xiao Qi…!" Zhang Shen wakes up from his sleep and nightmare with panting and sweating.

His head can't process anything that just happened but he remembers every detail, every single thing that happened and words that the guy who looked like him said.

He was the one that killed her but how? How can that happen? What exactly is the dream trying to tell him?

Zhang Shen's whole day was like a mess after he woke up with that nightmare stick in his head.

Zhang Shen sighed at his office and Bao Ji looked at him.

"Your majesty, is there anything that disturbing you?" he asked directly.

"Hmmm? No…I just feel tired today…" he answered Bao Ji.

"If you said so…your majesty, today, Miss Jiang's parents are going to visit the palace" he informed.