Chapter 22 - Close To The Death

A few weeks just passed and the palace was quieter than usual. Chenguang walked to the corridor's way and accidentally met with Jiang Song in the middle of the way.

"Well, good morning Miss Jiang~ it's a very fresh day today, isn't it?" She greeted her with the brightest smile.

"Yes, it was very fresh until I could smell something so unpleasant here…" she mocked Jiang Song but she seemed undisturbed by it.

"Of course, but maybe you'll smell it more at the punishment house~ and if you're wondering why it was so silent, it's because all of them were there~" she smirked.

After giving out an explanation, Jiang Song walked away and sent thousands of questions to Chenguang until she was immediately checking out what was happening at the punishment house.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"Ugh!..." Xiao Qi moaned in pain as blood dripped from her mouth. She got a punishment of 30 beating due to accusations of trying to kill Chenguang.

"Are you gonna tell me what your next plan is?" Zhang Shen lifted up her chin while her eyes were weak just to see him.

"I don't know what you are talking about…" she answered in a weak state.

"I'm getting sick of this, give her another 30!" he ordered to a soldier.

Suddenly, Chenguang breaks into the house and hugs Xiao Qi from the front.

"Stop!! Don't beat her anymore!!" She insisted and it made Zhang Shen frown.

"Why are you defending her?!" He asked.

"Because she's innocent! She didn't plan to kill me as you said!!" Chenguang stood up for her.

"And how did you know that? I'm the one who saw her people said that she's trying to kill you!!" He raised his voice.

"No! That's not true, please Zhang Shen…I'm begging you with my whole life to stop…please" Chenguang started to cry while begging on her knees.

"M-miss C-Chenguang…No…" Xiao Qi voices out.

"You can replace her with me!! I don't care how many beats you want to give me but please stop!!" Chenguang begged him.

"Chenguang, go back to your chamber…" Zhang Shen tried to keep up his head.

"No, please…" Chenguang clenched on his clothes.

"Give me one reason why?" He asked.

"Because she's pr—" Chenguang almost revealed it.

"Miss Chenguang!!" Xiao Qi called her with her remaining energy. Both of them looked at Xiao Qi.

"I'm fine, please…you should go. I don't want anything to happen to you just because you want to save me…" she said.

"Xiao Qi…" Chenguang was stunned.

"You heard that…now go…" Zhang Shen told her and without any other choices, she stood up and walked out the door. She looked at Xiao Qi's face who's smiling even though in such pain. Once the door is almost closed, she still wants to defend Xiao Qi but it's too late.

"Xiao Qi, I'm sorry…" she's crying in front of the door while hearing she's screaming in pain.

Meanwhile, Jiang Song and Yanyu went to a secret place where they kept all of their bad stuff.

"Miss Jiang, Miss Yanyu…" two guys greeted them.

"You guys did a good job as I expected…because of that, I decided to increase the reward if both of you can really kill Chenguang…" said Jiang Song to them.

Both of them looked at each other and frowned. They've never really killed people before and now they need to do it for real.

"But, we've never killed people before…"  said a guy to Jiang Song.

"But Miss Jiang told you to do so. Both of you must do it or we're the one letting both of you get killed," warned Yanyu.

Both of them trembled and just nodded to her request. Jiang Song and Yanyu looked at each other in satisfaction. They both knew this would come to an end real fast.

"After Chenguang and Xiao Qi together with the child in Xiao Qi's womb dead, we finally were able to get our position…" Yanyu smirked.

Unfortunately, all their conversation was heard by Bao Ji and Jianyu secretly. They both looked at each other and were surprised. Immediately, they went back to the palace.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"We should tell the Emperor!" Bao Ji said.

"No! Miss Xiao Qi doesn't want him to know anything! I've promised this thing to her!" Jianyu insisted.

"But Miss Xiao Qi carried the Emperor's child! How can I let them succeed?!" Bao Ji holds Jianyu's shoulders together.

Jianyu gently put down his hand "you should trust Miss Xiao as I trust her…even though in this critical time, I believe that she got something to do" she gently rubbed his back to calm him down.

"I hope your words were the truth" he looked at her.

"As long as we can keep Miss Xiao away from heavy punishment or let her to only stay in her cell and in that time we should go find evidence to prove her innocence!" Jianyu suggested.

"You're right! We should tell this to Miss Chenguang too!" he said and she nodded.

They both immediately go to Chenguang's chamber and try to keep their conversation as low as possible. In order to do that, Bao Ji took care of the chamber from the front as Jianyu met with Chenguang.

"Bao Ji? What are you doing here?" Zhang Shen suddenly came from behind but Bao Ji tried to act calm.

"Your majesty, I'm waiting for someone" he smiled as usual.

"Waiting for who?" Zhang Shen asked in curiosity.

Bao Ji giggled "I'm waiting for Jianyu, your majesty" he answered.

"I never saw you meeting any woman? Is there something important you need to talk with her?" Zhang Shen asked.

"Actually, it's quite private to tell you but since you asked, I—" Bao acted shy.

"It's okay, I think I knew what you wanted to say…well, I think this new girl really attracts you in a way I didn't know" he cut Bao ji's words.

"Is Jianyu meeting with Chenguang?" Zhang Shen asked more.

"It seems like it is…" Bao Ji answered.

"Can I know wh—" before he finished his sentence, Jianyu went out and pretended like she didn't meet Bao Ji before she entered the chamber.

"Your majesty" Jianyu bowed to him.

"Jianyu…why are you here?" Zhang Shen straightforwardly asked.

"Miss Chenguang asked me about Miss Xiao's conditions…" she answered politely.

"I see…both of you have a conversation, I'll go first…" he said and both of them bow to him.

After a few steps away, Bao Ji and Jianyu finally can end their acting.

"I didn't know you acted very well~"  Jianyu squinted her eyes while teasing him.

He smiled and flicked her forehead "you're also the same" he said.

"That hurts!" She rubs her forehead.

"Sorry but not sorry~" he walked away and she didn't believe what he just said.

"Bao Ji!" she called while chasing him from behind.