3. Wedding

"Can you stop that?"
Pranav asked closing his eyes and leaning his head on the head rest of the car seat. He was on the passenger seat and Jay decided to be behind the wheel to drive his brother to the venue for engagement.
He was playing a series of romantic songs. Pranav ignored it initially, but later on, requested him to stop that.

Jay complied and the car was silent again.

The engagement was planned at the bride's home.
It was requested by Pranav, that the engagement will be at her home, haldi will take place at their respective homes and the wedding will be at a banquet hall, convinient for both parties.

Pranav heaved a deep sigh as he stepped down the car and looked at the fully decorated house.
A thousands of thoughts were running in his mind, but, the prominent was, that it was the first and the last time that he would visit that place. He knew, he would never come back there, and all the people, who are there to welcome him now, would soon hate him to the core.

He was pulled out of his reverie when, a group of women came forward, with decorated plates of lighted lamps, in their hands.
Bride's mother was at front and she placed a dot of vermilion on his forehead. She then sprinkled rice grains and rotated the plate in front of his face. She raised a hand to his mouth with a piece of sweet and he ate it. He bend down to touch her feet and she placed a hand on his head, blessing him with all she could.

He, with all his relatives, was escorted to the large living room, which was converted to be the venue for the engagement. He was seated on a sofa and everyone was offered welcome drinks, to which he and Jay politely refused.

Some time later, his anxiety was on high peak but he masked it by concentrating on his breathing. The soon to be bride was brought down, and was made to sit beside him.
It was Shyama Bua that came forward to perform the rituals.
She placed a dot of vermilion on Shraddha's forehead. She placed a red  and golden veil on Shraddha's head that came to her front onto her shoulders. She then blessed her with plenty of sweets, cash, some jewellery and a coconut. Shraddha bent down to touch her feet and Shyama in turn, kissed her forehead.

The bride's parents came forward and Shraddha's father placed a dot of vermilion on Pranav's forehead. He was then offered sweets, cash, a coconut and a stack of gold coins on his lap. Pranav touched their feet and picked up the coconut and a single gold coin, along with the sweets and kept back the remaining cash and gold coins, back in the large copper plate.
Everyone was surprised at his action. But he politely refused to accept any thing else.

Once the rituals were done, Jay handed him a velvet box that had a simple gold band with a single diamond. The ring was nothing fancy, but looked decent. He slid the ring in her finger, holding her hand. She too, slipped a simple gold band in his ring finger.

Shraddha did not miss the exchange between the brothers. Pranav handed the gold coin to Jay and whispered something in his ears. Jay nodded and pocketed the gold coin.
She did not like the exchange. She did not know, who the man talking to her would be husband was.

While still sitting beside him, Shraddha discreetly glanced at him. His shoulder length, well groomed hair was the prominent feature of his personality. His light stubble and sharp features, had a powerful aura around him.

The Agarwal family had already made arrangements for lunch in Charu Villa. So the groom and family left after the short ceremony.
The real reason was, Pranav and Jay, never ate anything which was not cooked under the supervision of Neetu or RaniMaa.

It was the night when all the relatives were gathered in the back garden of Charu Villa. A lavish and comfortable seating arrangement was made there, along with the drinks and appetizers.
It was a Mehendi night for them.
Everyone insisted and Pranav did not protest.

SHRADDHA

It was imprinted on his left palm, in beautiful calligraphy, along with small flowers.

While he lied down in his balcony, under the open sky, he looked at the now reddish brown colour on his palm.
He slowly closed his fist, trying to cover it, but he knew, it will not be that easy to keep her under a curtain.

Next evening, Pranav was made to sit on a wooden stool, with loose cotton trousers with golden lining, naked above his waistline.
He was again going through the ritual of placing the dot of vermilion on his forehead followed by rice grains sprinkled over him. Once the plate was roared in front of his face, Geeta Bua came forward and picked up the mango leaves. She dipped them in the turmeric paste and applied that paste to his forehead, and cheeks. She then again picked up some paste and applied it thoroughly to his arms and legs. Every one present there followed the ritual, until he was unrecognizable. Buckets of hot and scented water were ready. Shyama Bua and other ladies, emptied pitcher after pitcher of water on his head, drenching him and washing the turmeric away. He ducked his head down and tried to manage his hair with his henna clad hands.

It was the responsibility of Jay to deliver the remaining turmeric paste to the bride.

The wedding took place as decided and without any complications. All the rituals were performed as per the Hindu customs.

When the newly Wed settled in the decorated car, Jay tapped the driver's shoulder. He was behind the wheel to drive his brother and sister-in-law home.

Shraddha received a warm welcome when she entered as a new bride. Shyama Bua and Geeta Bua had taken the responsibility to make the wedding and post wedding rituals a success.
The newly weds were taken to the Pooja Room, to take the blessings of the almighty.

A large brass idol of Lord Krishna was placed there, adorned with flower garlands. The room was fragrant with incense sticks. Two tall brass lamps were glowing mildly and entire background was decorated with fresh flowers.

Pranav kneeled down and Shraddha followed his actions. Pranav folded his hands and closed his eyes, asking for strength and all the wisdom to walk the path ahead. Shraddha's breath hitched, when something caught her eyes.
The same gold coin that was handed to Jay, was placed in a small silver plate near the foot of the idol.
She looked at her now husband with surprise, but he still had his eyes closed and hands folded.

She was shown to a guest room on the first floor and the same evening, all the post wedding rituals were completed.
Next morning, all the relatives departed, after blessing the new couple with happiness and prosperity.

Jay took it on his shoulders to make all the arrangements for their comfortable departure.
His father, Gautam was to stay there for another day, before going back to Canada, where he has been residing all his life after his wife's demise.

That night, Shraddha had her dinner served in the guest room, while Jay, Pranav and their father had it in the dining room.

After the dinner, Neetu came to her room, to inform her that she would be moving in with Pranav in his chamber.
It was Neetu who escorted her to the fifth floor.
Neetu pushed open the door and informed her the way to the balcony, where Pranav was waiting for her.

Shraddha braced herself and followed the directions...

------------------------------------------

Another chapter up.

Vote....
Comment....

Love.....