4. Conditions

Jay looked out of the window towards the swaying trees. He mind was fogged with questions.

He was aware that no business alliance or new contract was made with Shraddha's family. She had hardly completed her graduation and was just a few months elder to him.
He could not understand what was the reason behind his brother giving in to the demands of his father.
No doubt Shraddha was beautiful. But there was nothing extravagant about her. Not that his brother was known to mingle around with girls.

"Stop drinking." A stern voice came and Jay halted his movements of pouring the drink in a glass.

"It was the first one. Just one Bhai." He protested.

"No." Pranav refused.

Jay nodded and closed the lid and kept the bottle in its place.

Pranav ruffled his hair and walked away towards his chamber.
Jay walked out from behind the bar table and stretched his limbs. He then sprinted towards his own chamber, forgetting all about the drink.

The tinkling of her anklets and jingling of her bangles made him look up at her. She was standing at the threshold of the balcony.

"Come. Have a seat." He said politely.

She looked at the large sofa and walked to the far corner. She settled herself maintaining a decent distance.

Pranav took a sip from his soda and twirled the liquid in his glass.
"Would you like something to drink?" He asked and she shook her head lightly.

Pranav observed her for a moment.

"Was this alliance forced upon you?" He asked out of nowhere and she looked up at him with wide eyes.

She just looked away blinking.

He understood her unsaid answer and his wise eyes were assessing her every move.

"Any past relationships?" he asked again.
This time though, her heartbeat peaked up and her breath faltered.

"I just need the truth. Nothing else." He added, after a long moment of silence.

She licked her lips. She did not know what he was going to do after she tells him the truth. But she did not have the option to hide anything.

"Yes." she whispered looking down.

He did not react and kept quiet, for her to continue.
"Rajan. We liked each other." that was all she could manage.

The silence after her confession was deafening for her. While Pranav just kept on twirling the liquid in his glass.

"What does this marriage mean to you?" he asked, looking away.

She could not bring herself to reply anything. She was blank like a clean slate.

"Forget him." He finally commanded when she was silent.

She did not react at that.

"Now that we are tied together, I mean to live this bond in every possible way. I expect the same from you. Now the only relationship you will live is, that of my wife and daughter-in-law of this house. Does that make sense?" He asked.

She feebly nodded.

"I don't know, if you are aware of what you pushed yourself into. But now, there is no going back. There will be no way to be out of this marriage. Do not even think of a divorce. You are bound to be with me, all your life."

"I will give you two days to get accustomed to the routine and surroundings. After that, we will need to take the next step." He explained.

She widened her eyes.
"What do you mean by that?" She raised her voice.