47. Conditions Apply

Prithvi closed his eyes as he tried to grasp the fact that Pranav was controlled by his father to an extent that he had to see the love of his life die in front of him.
He could just not imagine the fears he had lived through to protect his own wife and son.

While Pranav decided to be honest and narrated his story, Jay could feel his brain going numb at the misery his elder brother went through.

A thick silence enveloped the three and Pranav held his head in the hollow of his palms, trying to get over the overwhelming emotions. He was still paranoid and was thinking about the family he had left behind in Charu Villa.

"I am sure, you already knew everything. But please, now that you know the entire truth, let us meet Diya and Kabir." Pranav said hopefully.

Prithvi sighed. He was partially aware of the truth, but the entire revelation had a toll on him. He could see how helpless and vulnerable both the brothers were. They were played by  their own father, only because he wanted complete control.
No one deserves that kind of parenting.

He was giving it a thought and decided to make the biggest revelation.

"I can let you meet Diya and Kabir. But there is one condition."

Both brothers looked at each other with furrowed eyebrows.
"What condition?" Jay was the first one to retort. He did not like the fact that his own wife and child would be able to meet him with restrictions.

"I have Kabir's sole custody. Diya signed it off to me when Kabir was born. I will not change the fact." Prithvi said in no-nonsense tone.

Jay widened his eyes, and Pranav's breath was caught in his throat.
"Sole custody? Who is she to sign it off? The child is not her property to sign it off. Its my baby too. I have the right to decide."

"It's a bit too late. Now Kabir belongs to me. And I will not change it no matter what."

Jay was about to protest when Pranav placed an assuring hand to stop him from saying something that they would regret later.

"Don't you have your own child? Why do you want to keep Kabir?" Pranav asked, trying to maintain his composure.

Prithvi looked at Jay to see if he would still retort, and as expected, he was fuming.

"I don't think I need to extend any explanations. Diya gave him to me, I will cherish him all my life." He replied casually, trying to rile up Jay.

Jay clenched his jaw and Pranav had to tighten his hold to keep Jay in his place. They were in a powerful territory and one wrong move could cost them everything. They might not even get to see Diya and Kabir. Prithvi was known to be a cruel businessman.

But as expected, Jay had to open his mouth.
"I will drag you to the court."

Pranav palmed his face in agitation. This was not what Prithvi would appreciate.

But he was startled when Prithvi laughed out. The rich laugh pierced the mansion and Pranav knew there was no humour.

"What will you say in court? Do you think the child will be sent in the environment where he was not welcome when he was not even born? And do you really think, I will let my child go through the traumatizing court drama? Will Diya forgive you for dragging her to the court?"

Jay paled. He knew, Prithvi made a valid point. Even he would not want his innocent child to go through court. He felt helpless and that made his anger bubble.
He wanted to scream and thrash everything in his power.

He was back to square one. He was as helpless as he was when he lost his world. His blazing eyes looked at the young man and his fingers itched to swipe that smug smile off his handsome face. He wanted to strangle that long creamy neck and tear off that tall lean body to tiny pieces and feed them to the hounds.

Prithvi observed his entire demeanor and knew that Jay probably had thoughts of killing him.

"What do you think we can do to change your mind?" Pranav asked and, Jay averted his eyes with closed fists, to control his raging emotions.

"You need to keep Diya and Kabir alive." Prithvi spoke and Jay looked at him shocked.

Did he agree to send them with him.....  Just like that?

Even Pranav could not comprehend what Prithvi said, for a moment. The brothers looked at each other and then back at Prithvi.

"Diya was not physically and emotionally stable after that night. She had hard time adjusting with the fact that she was fatally attacked. She had that lost look in her eyes and she had trouble speaking." Prithvi reminiscing those memories sent Jay back to his college days, when Diya stammered while communicating.
Only he knew what efforts he had put to bring Diya out of her shell and she had slowly warmed up-to him.

Jay could hold himself no more and burst out crying in the hollow of his palms.

Prithvi was taken aback.

Pranav wrapped a comforting arm around his shoulders and Jay let out his emotions. The vulnerable girl could not skip his memories, no matter how hard he tried.

"She stammers when she is scared." Pranav spoke on Jay's behalf.

"I figured that out eventually." Prithvi nodded in understanding.

"She has seen enough in her life. Not anymore. I am determined to give her a blissful life. No trouble would ever be able to touch her." Jay promised wiping his eyes harshly.

Prithvi smiled.
"My condition still remains the same."

"What condition?" Jay asked.

"Kabir's sole custody remains with me. You can meet Diya, and if she is willing, she can come with you. The meeting takes place in my presence and she gets the right to decide where she wants to stay. And about Kabir, he remains under my sole custody, until he turns 18. Diya gets to decide if he comes with you."

Jay did not like the conditions placed, but there was nothing he could do to change Prithvi's mind.

"Why do you want Kabir's custody?" He asked.

"So that I can make sure he is well taken care of and he is alive."

Jay felt a pang of hurt. He was unable to protect his family and the truth would haunt him for entire life.

"Kabir had always known who his real parents are. There is no denying that he knows you as his father and Diya as his mother. But I am his legal guardian and I get to decide to bring him back under my shelter if I find a threat lingering around him." Prithvi explained his point.

Neither Pranav nor Jay liked his thoughts.
"You would be keeping an eye on him?" Pranav asked with irritation laced voice.

Prithvi smiled.
"You are not the only one who pets 'Kites'."

Pranav widened his eyes in shock. Jay looked at both of them, confused.

"Kite? Is he talking about your golden eagle?" Jay asked.

Prithvi laughed out loud and Pranav knew, he was out of options. They were left with no choice but to agree to his conditions.

"Daddy!" An enthusiastic voice boomed in the mansion.

Jay looked up startled and so did Pranav.

The same boy from the airport was standing on the top stair, with a stuffed eagle in his hands. He threw the eagle away and ran down the steps.
Jay gasped and threw himself towards the boy, fearing that he would fall from the stairs. The boy was in his arms, even before he could think.

He hugged the boy tightly and breathed in his baby scent. He already loved the boy and knew that he could not stay away from him. He would agree to every damn condition put up by the haughty king.

"Where were you? What took you so long? I missed you." The boy whispered in Jay's arms.

Prithvi looked at the duo and then at Pranav, who could not stop the mist in his eyes.

Prithvi knew, he was right all along. He just wanted Diya to agree to go back to Jay, so that Kabir could have love of his both parents.

------------------------------------

Another chapter up.

Vote and comment
Love