30. In Safe Hands

Diya lightly stirred in her sleep.

Dev who was sitting beside her, was on high alert. He held her soft palm in his warm one and stroked her forehead. A thin line of discomfort appeared on her forehead, and he gently massaged her scalp, thinking that she might have headache.

Her eyes fluttered open, and she blinked, trying to adjust with the lighting.

She blinked in disbelief as her eyes focused on the man sitting near her.

"Diya!" he exclaimed softly, not to startle her.

Her expressions suddenly changed. it was evident that she recalled the previous night and was about to panic. The loud blast and the angry waves of fire were still vivid in her mind. It was not long ago that she was about to be a victim of the those blazing flames.

He realized that she was about to get up in a jerk and held her down firmly by her shoulders.

"Calm down. You are in safe hands." He whispered again.

She looked at him with wide eyes and then at her surroundings. She fluttered her eyelids again at him.
H

e sighed briefly and let her go. Taking it as a cue, she slowly got up. She felt much at ease as she was with someone familiar.

"What happened? Where are we?" she asked looking around at the unfamiliar room.

He licked his lips. He did not know how to make it easy for her to understand.

"Don't worry Diya. You are safe here. And you will be taken care of." He replied.

She furrowed her eyebrows. A lot of questions were swarming in her head. She went silent, not knowing what to do or say.

"Diya? Are you alright?" Dev asked concerned that she went silent instantly.

She looked at him and her cold expressions scared him more.

"Where is Jay?" she finally asked the question that he dreaded the most.

Taking a deep long breath, he poured some water in a glass and offered her. She looked at the glass and shook her head in denial.

"Don't be stubborn. Its not good for your health. Be thankful that nothing is out of control." He said sternly.

She stared at him for a brief moment.

"Where am I? Where is Jay? What happened to me?" She asked again.

Dev pursed his lips.

"Do you remember that fire?" He asked.

She nodded with large wide eyes, hoping that Jay was not a victim in that fire.

"We were fortunate enough to reach you in time. We could not save your home, but you are safe."

She heard him, but somehow she was not satisfied with his answer.

"And... Jay?" she asked.

"He is safe too." He answered.