27. Aftermath

"Why do you call me Dove? It's not my name." Diya had asked while she melted in his embrace, in the quiet tennis court.

He kissed her forehead.
"Off-course that is your name, by all means. It is short for Diya and Love." he whispered, pulling her more closer.

The Dove decided to fly away. He was left with her memories.

Siddharth rushed to hold his shattered frame and pull him up to his feet. Jay was too lost to accept the fact that Diya was no more. He looked at the dead body, covered under white sheets. A lone tear finally escaped his eyes as he realized what he was looking at.
But his heart still refused to accept the truth.

While Ajay was bitterly crying in shocked Arjun's embrace, Pranav was lost. He looked at the wall in front of him with unblinking eyes. He did not have the courage to look at the body. He felt defeated. He felt like a loser. He felt as if she will question him for the fate she faced. He failed to protect her.

Now he was unsure of the future.
What was he supposed to make his priority? 
Does he need to console his heartbroken brother, whose entire world was turned upside down? 
Should he make arrangements for the final goodbye of the young girl, who took away her unborn baby with her?
Should he run back to his home to see if his wife and kid were still alive and breathing, and hold them in his arms, to shadow them from every evil eye?

Jay shrugged himself off from Siddharth's embrace and took a shaky step towards the stretcher. He took a few more uncertain steps, with dread filling his heart. He still had a tiny hope that maybe the women on the stretcher was not his wife.
He raised a shivering hand and held the corner of the white sheet in the tips of his fingers. He took a sharp breath and pulled away the sheets to reveal the face.

He froze for a moment.
Next moment, he gave out a heart piercing scream and Pranav was pulled out of his reverie.
Jay turned around and broke down in uncontrollable loud sobs in Siddharth's arms, hiding his face in the white crisp shirt.

Once beautiful creamy flawless face was now burned to look like coal. It was beyond recognition. Those long gold earrings had blackened with the fire. It was evident how cruel, the component of nature had been with his timid wife. Holding him with one hand, Siddharth adjusted the sheets as it was, unable to make another glance at the burned body.

Pranav sank down to the floor and hid his face in his palms, as he sobbed like never before.

Jay raised his head to look at him. He pulled away and sniffled hard before marching towards his grieving brother.

He kneeled down and held Pranav's hands.
"Dau... My wife.... My.... Baby.... Do something..... Get.... Them.... Back...... Please.... " he pleaded within his sobs.

Pranav pulled him closer and gave out the way to another wave of grief.

He could trade anything to turn the time around. Just a few more moments, was all he needed, before he could save the poor pregnant girl.

It was after a few more moments, when Siddharth decided to take a lead to take everyone home. The proceedings for the cremation of already burned body needed to be carried out.

Pranav had to compose himself for Jay, who was a mess. He cried and sobbed and demanded his wife. He wanted his brother to do something so that she could breathe again.
When the ambulance stopped in front of Charu Villa, all the staff, was gathered in front of the main gate. Siddharth had already informed about the unfortunate incident.

There was nothing that they could do much to her burned body, as per the rituals after death of a Hindu married woman.

The body was brought to Charu Villa, only to let her bid the final goodbyes.

Pranav so wanted to see his wife and child. He looked around but could not see them, within the people gathered. He left his shaken brother and rushed to his room, in search of Shraddha and little Kabir.

His heart skipped a beat.

His room was submerged in darkness, when he pushed the door open.
He pressed a switch only to realize, Shraddha sitting in a far away corner, with her baby, held close to her. She was utterly terrified. Her hair was disheveled and her face gave away the signs that she had been crying bitterly for long.

"Shraddha!" Pranav exclaimed, looking at her condition.

She was instantly relieved and got up, only to leap in his arms, with her baby. She could not stop crying and all the time held the sleeping baby in her arms, protectively.
Pranav tightened his hold around her. He had no words to console her.

She finally looked up at him.
"She was killed. Wasn't she?"

Pranav was shocked by her statement.

"Don't lie to me Pranav. Not now at least. Was that the reason, you never let me out of this place? Please answer me, Pranav. Please." She asked, within her sobs.

He did not answer, as always, but he did not stop the tears that flowed freely. He again pulled her close.
"I will not let anything happen to you, Love. That would be my last day."

It was a promise to himself too.

-----------------------------------------

A short chapter.

Vote...
Comment....

Love......