I

Chapter 20: Funeral

The death of your brother hurt you, from the old generation you were the last one standing, now the new generation had to rise and remake the family. Sadly there weren’t many that still called themselves ‘Kamado’.
Like Tomioka Giyuu whose mother was a Kamado, or Aoi.
And the children of Tanjuro passed away and only left two that was Nezuko and Tanjiro, but only the boy could keep the name running. Nezuko got married after all to Zenitsu who was an Agatsuma. Reason why males were important.

You laid in bed clutching the pillow close as tears stained the cloth. Your eyes were pressed shut, you silent cries were barely heard.

“Ruka,” you heard and lifted your head to see your husband, “try to eat something okay?”

He kneeled down with a soup he wore his home kimono, it was a colour of light blue that faded to a darker shade. His long hair was in a bun showing that he cooked.

“fine, just a bit,” you groaned as you sat up and he feed you.

Outside of the door that lead to the outer hall that was connected to the engawa stood a tall teenage adolescent who only wore his white kimono with red hakama pants. His long hair was loose over his back as he eavesdropped on his parents.

Who was it that made his mother cry? Who was it? His beloved mother never cried in his life, no tears ever came from her beautiful eyes!

Anger boiled in his veins, his mother doesn’t deserve to be sad, she always was a happy woman who did her best to teach them everything they knew. Kyojuro didn’t like to see or even hear her cry.

“what are you doing here?” the male flinched as he heard the deeper voice of his father.

Wasn’t he inside just now with his mother? How did he get there without hearing his footsteps?

“I wanted to see mother,” the boy confessed his head lowered as his father sighed, “but I didn’t dare interrupt you, father.”

The man shook his head, “it is okay, Kyojuro, your mother is mourning the death. Her younger brother passed away due to an incurable sickness that drowned him.”

Kyojuro froze, his uncle passed away? Who was he again? How long was it since they visited the family of his mother’s side?

After all they moved very far away, they lived much farther then Mt. Sagiri and very far than their region, it was a bit farther than the water Pillars region. Maybe he’d ask him to send a message.

“oh,” that was the only sound that left his parted lips. He felt bad sick even, who knew why, why did he feel like something was wrong. He felt like something will happen but suddenly forgot what it was and turned to his mother’s door.

He placed his hand on the edge of the door before sliding it open, “I will see mother,” he entered and slid it back shut.

You turned your gaze to him and smiled, “Kyojuro, how have you been?”

“Mother are you okay?!” his voice boomed even if his smile left his lips. Your eyes were red and puffy from crying with a runny red nose, your raven hair was a  bird’s nest that fell over your face and eyes making you look like you were insane.

You sniffed again, “I am,” sniff, “fine.”
He blinked – HE NEVER BLINKS – and crouched down sitting criss-crossed beside you, your eyes stared off into the now opened engawa doors watching the wisteria trees. “mother I have never seen you so sad before, something is wrong.”

You were crying so bad for your brother – Ruka’s brother – you still knew that you weren’t Ruka, this was just an AU, either way it made you feel like dying.

“my brother passed away from some kind of disease, it was so sudden,” you lied, well kind of lied, you knew he was soon to die but either way you were crying your eyes out.

You sniffed again as you finally sat up, “I hope that I never leave you three, after all. . .” you stopped, “your father will be very sad.”

You wanted to stay alive so you could avoid Shinjuro’s downfall and Kyojuro’s death. Maybe something would do, maybe ask Muzan to keep Akaza away?

Well you and Muzan grew closer he even called you ‘friend’ and kept coming over with Rui. Still you weren’t sure if it could do anything. His ego was too big and you feared that he would dare kill you, he would do it with a flicker of his finger.

“. . .” Kyojuro gave you a sad smile, his normal sun-like smile was whipped off, making you frown, he was worried wasn’t he.

You wrapped your arms around his neck pulling him down into a bear hug, your face in his chest, “you do not have to worry about me,” his hands wrapped around your shoulders leaning into you, sighing.

“I understand mother,”

Everyone has to die, humans give birth, live and die, that is the natural cycle of life, what makes us beautiful and unique, that was something you taught your sons.

Demons may not age, but they also once were human, so even at their end have a merciful heart and acknowledge them, you never know the reason they turned to a demon.

Even the demon king and the twelve Demon Moons, there is a reason they are who they are now. Sometimes Shinjuro got angry due to you defending those demons, after all he wasn’t as merciful as you.

You looked up and cupped his cheek, “even at the last of your breath keep fighting, not for you or for me, but for the other victims of the demons.” You paused, “free them from their nightmares and deepest, darkest desires that made them who they are now.”