Episode 4: Thumb War Part 2

*mentions of spiciness present but nothing descriptive (that's for the next chapter :3)*

"Perhaps it's better to just forget. After all, I doubt we'll ever see them again..."

~One week later~

One hundred and sixty-eight hours. Seven days. One full week since the incident—and nothing much had happened. It should've taken longer to forget but like always, life in the Man Cave went on as it always did after a crisis, even if the crisis involved leaving two men to their fate in space.

No one questioned the Thumb Buddies' sudden disappearance, not the news, not the public, nobody, which was kinda sad when (y/n) thought about it, but that was just the point. She wasn't thinking about it, no one was.

There was no doubt that everyone felt slightly guilty about leaving Joey and Mark to cruise in the rocket until the end of time and after returning from the scene of the crime, Ray may or may not have had to comfort his sobbing sweet girl as she waited for the gentle relief of sleep. She felt so bad but then the next emergency came in, and then another, and another, and another after that and before long, life was back to being crazy and hectic, so much that there was no time to mope about. Other people needed help and they couldn't do their jobs properly if their heroes weren't focused.

So, that was the story up until one week later. They'd talked, watched Dog Judge, laughed at Jasper up in Junk-N-Stuff, finally seen that room-com with Tod Higgledy-Piggledy like they'd said, and done other stuff amongst that—a lot of other stuff and the Thumb Buddies faded into nothing with no one expecting a sudden dramatic return.

"We have an emergency," Ray grumbled into (y/n)'s ear as he came to lay behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist—spooning as it were as she dozed through the afternoon and into the early evening.

It was just one of those days after a particularly gruelling night full of challenging calls and rather than be a productive human being, the girl was much happier just to be a useless vegetable as she whined and snuggled deeper into the cosy sheets of their bedroom. She loved him so much, what did she do to have her tranquillity broken by such terrible news?

"Again? I don't want tooooo...." She whimpered, seemingly sinking further into the mattress as his rumbling chuckle evaporated into her hair, his lips tucked into the curve of her ear. He knew the feeling, the thought of suiting up again and losing sleep they didn't have sounded like hell whilst staying here in bed where it was warm, safe welcoming was heaven. But the journey to nirvana is never easy and they had a job to do that earned them that security.

"Come on, sweet girl. It's just a burglary, a nice, easy burglary..." The man encouraged her, running his hand down and over her pyjama short-covered hip as she zoned out to the sound of her breathing. Maybe if she fell asleep he'd just leave her here, but then again, she'd no doubt shock herself awake and panic about being left behind and that would start a guilt trip and then she'd get all teary and emotional from being tired and no one had time for that. Life was so unfair sometimes, what could she do to tempt him to stay?

"Stupid burglars, why can't they just buy stuff like the rest of us normal, functioning members of society?" (y/n) groaned as she shuffled to lay on her back, her eyes landing on Ray's gently smiling, stupidly handsome face and she couldn't help but raise a hand to hold his cheek. He didn't look mad or pissed at how she was stalling, rather he looked content, perhaps even torn at how he knew they needed to leave but the alternative of staying in bed with her was so much more enticing.

"Can't we just stay here? I promise I'll make it worth it for us...just me, you, no burglars, no emergencies, no restrictive uniforms...you know I put this pyjama set on for you."