Episode 7: Part 2: A New Darkness

Call this the worst day of (y/n)'s life - or one of them, certainly.

It was all right for some; whilst the city remained in blissful ignorance of the storm cloud of doom looming over them, it was all go-go-go for Captain Man, his sidekicks and those in the Man Cave. Well, it was for Charlotte anyway, as per usual, Schwoz and Jasper were a little more laidback, mainly because they didn't grasp the full severity of the situation as she did.

They'd been fooling around ever since she'd received the distressing message from the Captain that they had a super-duper, code red emergency that trumped all other emergencies and as she scurried around trying to get stuff ready for what she assumed was gonna be one of the biggest fights of the year, the boys were playing dress-up. With Kaitlyn. Because she was cute and death and destruction aren't.

"Captain Man, Swellview's in danger!"
"You're the only one who can save us!"
"Time's running out! You gotta act now!" It wasn't actually Ray they were speaking to, lord knows that they'd never stroke his ego like that. No, it was Kaitlyn, who had adorably dressed in a tiny Captain Man costume that made her look like the famed hero if you looked her in the furry face, and Schwoz and Jasper were taking great delight in pretending that she was their boss and not the real Captain Man. He was not cute, well, he might have been to (y/n) but to them, he was just the nutjob who paid them.

"Up the tube!" Schwoz squealed as he pretended to lift the dog up to the tube's mouth under the false pretence that she was blasting off on some dangerous mission to save the city, one paw-punch at a time. He'd never had this much fun with Captain Man before and was thoroughly enjoying messing around since the real heroes weren't around to throw them funny looks, the only one concerned about what was happening outside the four walls being Charlotte.

"Guys!" she yelled above their cooing and fussing whilst also holding armfuls of weapons and equipment. The message had said something about a big disaster, danger and the possible collapse of society as the world knew it so she wanted to be prepared, even if the eleven blasters she'd swiped were a bit of an overkill. "I'm gonna try and rescue, Ray, (y/n) and Henry. Now, do you wanna come with me or do you wanna stay here and play super-pooch with Captain Kaitlyn?"

"Ughhh, tough question," Jasper pulled a face at the predicament that honestly wasn't that hard to answer. Possibility of death and lifelong maiming or playtime with a doggie? He chose life.

"Ray is very mean to me..." And Schwoz didn't even have to think. Whilst Henry and (y/n) were very nice people, he'd long been shot in the butt, bullied and beaten by Ray ( in the most affectionate way but still) so he decided that this would teach him a lesson. The sidekicks would just have to be regrettable collateral damage, oops.

"Seriously?" Charlotte groaned, hating the idea of having to storm the Honey Factory and tackle the Beekeeper and that lying little sneak, Rick Twitler, herself but after all her preparation, she didn't have to. Like the gods commanded it, the tubes sounded and dropped, bringing home the weary and disappointed and defeated heroes to what definitely wasn't a heroes' welcome.

Henry was like a limp noodle as his feet hit the metal and the two in the adjacent tube weren't doing so hot either; after a gruelling struggle and a lot of coordination, he'd helped to pull their tired bodies from the wreckage of the plasma gas traps, allowing them to escape the factory. Freedom was nice but there was no getting away from one simple thing - Twitler had flown and taken his internet virus with him, leaving their pride bruised and the kid powerless.

"Oh, thank god." Charlotte sighed and dropped her bundle of kit once she saw the familiar blue and red uniforms and for a brief, shining moment, she thought that all was okay, the situation had been dealt with and they could all relax, but no. Her gaze narrowed in worry as Henry fell limp with the support of the glass around him and Ray and (y/n) had to look sharpish and untangle themselves from each other to catch his body before he hit the floor.