Episode 34: Cave The Date (SMUT)

*hola amigos. do I have smut for you? yes. it's a bit further down, and ngl, I really enjoyed writing it. this is the last episode I love before what I call the final stretch because, omg we're getting so close to the end. Is anyone else feeling emotional? I am.

~The Man Cave~

There was never much time for thinking in the Man Cave. Cerebral moments were limited when your boss is a hardheaded, dense - mentally and physically - shallow man-child.

Thinking made Ray's head hurt, so he banned it. Any clever stuff became clandestine and secret because if the hero didn't understand it, he didn't want to know. It made him feel stupid, which was bad news for The Smarties he surrounded himself with.

Schwoz, Charlotte and (y/n) found themselves dumbing everything down around the man, hoping he wouldn't criticise them for stinking up the place with their brain cells and logic. Well, mainly Schwoz and Charlotte. For unknown reasons, (y/n) never had many problems with Ray, even though it was crystal clear to her fellow thinkers. He fancied her - a distinct advantage.

But when the cat is away, the mice will play, so when Ray, Jasper and Henry stepped outside the building to run a few errands, the trio jumped at the chance to be intelligent in peace.

With some elegant classical music playing in the background, Charlotte caught up on her reading at the supercomputer - Nuclear Physics for Smarties, borrowed from her friend. Just some light reading to test her little grey cells whilst Schwoz settled into the couch for a chess game against himself. Apparently, he liked the challenge, although the girls couldn't work out how it was enjoyable when he made every move.

But (y/n) didn't care. It was his downtime; he could do what he wanted, much like how she filled the emptiness in her heart from Ray's absence with her favourite pastime. Mathematics.

Oh, she loved it. The purest field of study, where she used nothing but time, logic, and a few memorised formulas to work out an annual budget for Junk-N-Stuff. Lost in the numbers, she felt complete, knowing they wouldn't cheat her because they were facts. Pure and simple. And she liked things simple.

"I will not see that coming..." Schwoz chuckled throatily as he moved a red knight and flipped the board. The girls ignored him mostly, too enthralled with their afternoon tea, page-turning or writing on a chalkboard to care when he sipped his tea, only to spit it out again dramatically. He really didn't see it coming.

"Do you ever get bored playing chess with yourself?" Charlotte asked dryly, not bothering to look over her shoulder, through the thin frames on the bridge of her nose, to watch how he played.

"No, I don't, but sometimes, I do."

"You're a strange man, Schwoz," (y/n) smiled, gently shaking her head as she worked through her long division. For some reason, Junk-N-Stuff had a lot of expenditure that month, resulting in many numbers zipping around her head as she tried to budget it all. She'd have to tell her doofus to stop buying so many Pet Rocks.

"Ughhhhh!" Charlotte suddenly groaned as she read a new text on her phone, and judging by her reaction, it was bad news.

"The guys are coming back," she sighed, instantly standing up because that meant their R&R was over. Silencing the music, she hurried to an industrial-strength shredder, dropping her book in it since Ray couldn't find any evidence of people being smart - he'd hit the roof. However, Schwoz wasn't ready to stop playing, even when he knew how his boss would react.

"Why did you do that? I hadn't read that book yet!" (y/n) whined, lamenting the loss as the book turned into confetti--unreadable and worthy of nothing but the trash. She didn't understand, but that was because she had privileges, being Ray's beloved sweet girl. He turned into a puddle of mush when she got all brainy, yet he got crabby the minute they started being the same.