Episode 35: Escape Room

"You look gorgeous today..."

If (y/n) had a dollar for every time her fiancé said that...she'd have a lot of dollars. Across the room, Charlotte met her gaze with a smirk, peering over a grindstone as the woman became flustered and shy.

They had a job to do - nothing serious or dangerous. Merely opening a new shop or something mundane like that where all the heroes had to do was go in, smile, wave, cut a ribbon, say a few words, and leave. Not exactly the stuff of legends, but it was part of the job, so when the call came in from some schmuck businessman, Ray couldn't say no.

The couple was ready to go, in uniform, with the Man Van keys in Ray's pocket, but they were still one sidekick short. Henry had yet to arrive, so as Charlotte sharpened the man's favourite ribbon-cutting scissors and Schwoz polished a trumpet, he filled the spare time with his sweet girl. Mainly, he held, kissed, and whispered sweet, mushy words in her ear to make her blush - the usual stuff.

"You've said that three times this morning, doofus. And it's only ten," the heroine replied, giggling as she booped his nose and ran her fingertip over his lips, wondering at their softness when he leaned forward to catch another gentle kiss.

"That's 'cause it's true, darlin'. Have I ever told you how hot this uniform is on you?"

"You may have mentioned it once or twice," (y/n) hummed, smiling softly and tilting her head back when he trailed butterfly kisses down her neck, pulling more giggles from his precious girl. It didn't matter if it was the same costume she wore every day, the exact outfit she'd had for years; Ray thought she was singularly the most beautiful girl in the universe, eclipsing anyone else in his view. The centre of his world.

Charlotte watched them from under her face shield, shaking her head whenever she could spare a moment from her work - one wrong move and she'd shave her finer off, but those two...when would they put everyone out of their misery and just get hitched?

"Yo, yo, yiggity yo!" And the morning got better. Jasper stepped out of the elevator in a cheery mood that ground Ray down, irritating him to the point where (y/n) had to kiss his cheek to bring him back to her.

"Yo!"

"Yo!"

"Yiggity!"

"Yo!" They replied happily, some happy to see the kid as he swung a bundle of books around by its leather tether. Ray returned to kissing his sweet girl, mumbling in her ear about how she looked better out of uniform as he caught her lips, but Jasper wanted some advice. Namely, from one smarter than him.

"Hey, Charlotte, you don't look busy. Can you help me with my ho-ho-higgity homework?"

"I would love to, but I have to sharpen Ray's giant sci-sci-sciggidity...his scissors. His giant scissors. I'm sorry. I couldn't keep going," the girl replied, showing the boy her handiwork - perfectly sharpened red and blue scissors for snipping Swellview City Hall's best ribbons.

"Ooooh, you got another grand opening today? You love those," Jasper asked, glancing over at the couple near the tubes, pulling them from their...personal time. Putting his fiancée down, Ray walked over to the kids, grinning because Jasper was correct; he loved everything about the fancy occasions.

"Sure do. Love all the fanfare, love that new store smell..."

"You love making every grand opening about yourself..." (y/n) joked, poking the man's pec because she knew she was right. All she had to do was walk around, shake a few hands, and let him do all the hard work - her doofus lapped it up. She shunned the limelight, yet he dived in headfirst, parting crowds and signing autographs whilst she and Henry stood back and shook their heads.