7. An Insulting Proposal

Oliver stepped out of Conrad's room and met up with Sarah, who was giving him an unsettled look.

Oliver made her walk beside him again back to his room. "You have a question on the tip of your tongue?"

Sarah sighed. "You still wish me to be honest?"

"Absolutely."

"Then what are you plotting?" Sarah asked coldly. "I respect the Kardos family and will do anything I can to protect it, even if that is to stand against you."

Oliver gazed at her for a while. Her stubbornness forced her to straighten her back, although her face was pale, and she trembled slightly. He had to smile at the familiar resilience. Having Sarah by his side again made his heart feel at ease, longing to give her a better ending this time.

He finally broke the stare and moved to the large windows that overlooked their property. He felt his heart falter when he saw Duke Aaron and Duchess Sophia step out of their carriage. He held his breath, watching these two. His parents looked so young... so happy... he had stripped them of these smiles in his past life.

He lightly placed his hand on the glass. After he joined the war and donned the title of Guardian and General, he lived a life they would be proud of; however, they had died before they knew of his deeds. 

"I want to do the same, Sarah." His voice was quiet, nearly a whisper.

He would protect his friends, save his family, stop the war, and punish those who dared plot against him this time. One sword will defend his loved ones; the other sword will be the blade of vengeance. 

His eyes lingered on the figures below, and Sarah watched as the young man seemed to age substantially. His face and body were still young, but his eyes were complicated and deep. His aura was that of a lonely king. She held her breath, unable to find the confidence to interject into this melancholy mood.

He finally pushed away from the window and turned away.  

At the same time, his father's eyes flashed upwards and landed on the window where Oliver stood. He had felt the intense gaze before but hesitated before looking up. He was surprised to see the back of his second son walking away.

When Oliver reached his room with Sarah, she noticed the clothes on the bed. "Sir—Oliver? What's this?" She corrected herself when she saw Oliver giving her an annoyed look.

"I need a new tailor. The one my father uses should be fine. He has the right sense of style I am looking for." He explained. "Everything else in my closet needs to go."

Sarah tilted her body so she could look inside the closet and paled. "Um... Oliver... you know how many jewels are on your clothes?"

Oliver shuddered. "Don't remind me. We can donate it, right? There are plenty of the Blue Cristalino Pearls that will be beneficial for Osmela. Everything with those gems can go to the local church. The rest can be exchanged and sent to the shelters in Wynter's territories." He waved his hand across the room. "Same for the gaudy decorations and jewelry I have lying around. I'd rather keep things simple."

Sarah remained still, trying to absorb this information. "But you love jewels."

Oliver shrugged. "Do you think it can be done?"

"You're not..." Sarah hesitated, "...trying to set me up, right? You're not going to turn around and claim I stole your things?"

Oliver patted her lightly on the head. "Nothing like that. It's just a time for a change."

"Are you preparing to be a good Royal Consort?"

Oliver shook his head and leaned against the window, looking to the gardens below. "I'm not the Royal Consort. But I want to start living like a decent man. Once I can accomplish that, perhaps I may become a good son."