31. Moonlight

The winter was harsh in Wynter, and the ice and winds constantly beat against the manor's walls. Oliver had bathed already and was only wearing a pair of loose pants. His figure was sitting at his desk in front of piles of paperwork, but his eyes were drawn to the window as he watched the snowfall.

There was a hunting accident earlier in the day, and his soldier's death certificate was left untouched on his desk. He should be used to these matters, considering he had signed enough death certificates to break his wrist. But this was the first one of this lifetime.

He thought back to all the people who had died around him, including Sarah, who had sat down with him for a long conversation today. Besides Imran and Antony, her death had left him with the greatest emotional scar.

She was there for him when he donned the titles of General and Guardian and helped him learn how to lead. The memories flooded him like a dream as he recalled that ill-fated battle.

He had planned well for the battle ahead of him, but what he did not take into account was the Abrorgeans finding an ally in Osmela. He remembered his dread when he saw the large army approach. Fighting Abrorgeans was one matter, but fighting paladins and priests with holy magic was entirely different.

He adapted quickly, given the circumstances, and ordered his troops to defend. But the formations he ordered were wrong. He made a mistake and watched as many men fell to the blades of the paladins. He also hesitated when he called for a retreat because he was distracted by the death surrounding him. He didn't see the female paladin approaching him. He missed how she swung her sword down toward him. But he caught every detail when Sarah threw herself in front of the blade.

She died in his arms, and the last word on her lips was, "Live..."

Oliver ran his hand through his hair to straighten it and gingerly stood up from his chair. He walked out towards the balcony, letting the cold air hit him. However, his body no longer shivered in the cold. As he integrated more with the north, he felt a power inside him grow stronger.

He looked down at his palm and urged the strange power to accumulate there. A small wisp of ice and snow danced in his palm, and he smiled. He concentrated, and the ball of snow condensed and became a small sharp spike in his hands. He had started experimenting with the magic inside him while he was in Wynter, but it had only recently stabilized. He still had no idea how to use it in battle, but he was happy with this small bit for now.

He withdrew his magic and rested his elbows on the balcony railing. He gazed over the snow-covered training field and dense treeline, trying to distract his mind.

His thoughts have been weighty lately, recalling his past battles and regrets. Of all the battles he fought, he hated battle where Sarah died the most. It was his shame as a Generals—his mistakes killed thousands of men, including Sarah. He still could remember the face of the paladin who killed Sarah even now. That shock and fear that overwhelmed her expression as his sword swung towards her will forever be engraved in his mind.

The paladin was frightened, unwilling to die. At that moment, he knew that no one wanted to fight and die in this war, even his enemies. They were all thrust into this horrible scenario... all for a selfish wish.

He used to feel his failure like a thorn in his heart. And he used to detest the paladin. But now, he couldn't find these dark emotions within him. His time with Draco in this life had soothed him. He felt he could move forward instead of being tethered to his past.

Live... it was his every intention to do so.

He turned his gaze to Draco's balcony that was next to his. Draco hadn't joined him the last few nights, and Oliver had felt that his bed had become too empty. He had resorted to sitting at the desk or lying on the floor at night. The blanket on the ground was evidence of the nest he had made.