53. Terms of Surrender

Draco had led Oliver out of the council room and to a private balcony.  He cupped both of Oliver's cheeks and pressed his forehead against his.

"Forgive me," Draco said quietly.

"Why are you apologizing?"

Draco sighed. "For too many things... but most recently, for starting this war."

"It's—" Oliver started but stopped when Draco shook his head and shut his eyes like he was in pain.

"Have you experienced any peace since that war?" Draco's voice was soft but filled with guilt. Oliver's life had been filled with nothing but war and heavy responsibility.

"Of course I have," Oliver said lightly and pulled at Draco. "Come, let us see what disasters these men have come up with."

He walked back to the council while holding Draco's hand. They were touching, but Draco could sense the distance between them. He could feel Oliver putting up his defenses and walls to become the General he thought he needed to be. 

He hoped Oliver would be forthright and vent his hatred of war, express his reluctance, or whisper his fears. Draco craved an honest response, not empty words to placate him.

However, Oliver's expressionless face was a mask that Draco was too familiar with. This was the face of the General.

He was becoming the General who never revealed his true emotions. The one who had to remain steadfast and sharp—because distractions kill soldiers. He never let anyone know if something was inconvenient for him and would take on the extra burden without complaint. If he believed it would lower morale, he would never expose what was in his heart.

General Oliver Kardos was brilliant and enchanting to watch. However, he was a lonely man living in self-isolation. Draco felt guilty for starting this new war, yet he hoped Oliver would still confide in him and not bottle in his misery.

Draco took a deep breath. If there was one thing he was sure of, it was his ability to go head-to-head with Oliver. From now on, Draco would fight a battle to break down the resurrected walls of the General. However, it would be worth it if he could show Oliver a sliver of peace and security amid a war. He would remind Oliver that he was not fighting this war alone.

The two of them entered the room and the chatter tapered off. Oliver walked up to the map that had banners set up to show proposed strategies to attack Bierze. He pursed his lips with obvious disappointment as he saw the sloppy army formations.

"Report." Oliver suddenly said. With one word, he was in control of the room again.

Ian briskly came to his side and saluted. "Boss. The Ravager King occupied Bierze and enslaved the noble families and King. Many hidden bandit camps have fallen under the Ravager's banner and set up camp within the capital's walls."

Oliver stopped him before he could continue. "And Wynter?"

"King Draco had Wynter evacuated to Rucrea. Some of the smaller villages are being cared for in Osmela." Ian answered.

Oliver turned a grateful look towards Draco. "And where do we stand in our plight against Bierze?"

"At this time, we are rallying the armies of Abrorg, Osmela, Rucrea, and Wynter to attack Bierze. We will be ten legions strong within a few weeks. However, we have had conflicting ideas on the plan to attack."

"These plans are obviously not Imran's. I heard something happened to him and Aris." Oliver said plainly. 

The people in the room muttered lightly. They all knew that he had just woken up but didn't realize that he had rushed here without knowing their current situation. Still, he could determine that Imran did not draft these plans with just a glance at a map.