35. A Dragon King

Draco and Oliver were still running in the dark. Their lungs were stitched from exhaustion. They feared resting for too long because they didn't know how the caves connected. They anticipated meeting their enemies at every curve and bend of the tunnel.

They had long fallen silent, only sharing their strained breaths. Draco had grabbed Oliver's hand and had not released it. Oliver could feel the protectiveness emanating from Draco's grasp.

Draco was terrified when the Ravagers talked about taking the dragon's heart. He could never bear to lose Oliver. The prospect gutted him, and he vowed to do everything in his power to protect the man behind him.

Draco hastened his steps when the horns continued to echo within the mountain. The Ravagers' shouts and threats about ripping them apart were still ringing in their ears. However, Draco had started to notice Oliver's state. He saw the magic gather and forcibly enter Oliver, but he didn't understand how dire the consequences could be. He could sense the pain in every breath Oliver took and felt the cold blood coating his hand.

Oliver was in immeasurable pain. He held on to Draco as if he was his only source to remain sane. Not only was the pain terrible, but the discomfort welling inside of him was near unbearable. There was too much pressure building, and he tried to suppress it. However, he noticed that the flesh on his hands had started to crack, resembling stress cracks on ice.

Draco seemed to notice Oliver was experiencing increased pain. "Oli?"

"It's nothing. Keep going." He said between clenched teeth.

Draco continued to run until both of them nearly collapsed. They didn't know how long they were escaping, but their fatigue was prominent. Oliver collapsed and was breathing heavily. He felt the piercing pain of the cracks when they started to spread up his arms; however, Oliver didn't make a sound of protest.

They must keep running.

They turned around a bend and found something they didn't expect—a light breaking through the darkness. Draco pulled Oliver towards the light until they finally found the mouth of the cave. The moon's silvery light bathed down on them and helped their eyes adjust from the dreary darkness of the cave.

Draco took this opportunity to examine Oliver, his brow creased with concern when he saw the growing wounds. The cracks on Oliver's skin had reached his shoulders, and blood from the wounds had stained his shirt.

He opened his mouth to force them to rest, but Oliver shot him a silencing look. They couldn't afford to stop. Even if the Ravagers didn't know about this cave, they still knew the area, and their chances of escaping were becoming slim with each passing hour.

"You sure you can keep going?" Draco asked instead.

Oliver nodded. "I'm fine."

Oliver pushed himself off the wall and grabbed Draco's hand. Draco ran out of the cave and quickly gauged his location based on the stars and topography. He sighed. "We're in Rucrea. A day's ride away from home."

Oliver nodded. "Then lead the way."

Oliver and Draco continued to run through the northern woods, but Oliver's steps were becoming heavy, and the cracks crept up to his neck. Draco cursed under his breath, but because Oliver never voiced his pain, Draco kept pulling him through the trees.

The sky started to lighten as they reached the edge of the forest, and Draco stopped. Oliver practically fell into his arms. He was trembling, and his lips were pale, the cracks reaching the delicate flesh. He could also feel the same wounds stretching across his torso.

"Keep... going..." His words were strained between stitched breaths.

Draco placed his hands on Oliver's cheeks. "Ok. There is a ranch just ahead. They have horses we can borrow."