12. An Alibi

They were pulled into a sitting room, and a maid had poured them tea before she left. Gallio was checking on some of the superficial wounds on Oliver's body and started using his magic to heal some of the cuts.

Oliver gave him a perplexed look.  "Holy power?"

"Not everyone gets such special treatment.  Consider yourself lucky." Gallio said with a grin.

Oliver was silent and placed his hand over his heart.  "I know much about fighting but very little about magic."  

Savvi tilted his head a little. "I thought magic sealed a long time ago."

Gallio was surprised by Oliver's words. "It's old history.  Once the world was filled with abundant magic, but a disaster occurred, and all the active magic in the world was sealed away.  Magic can never be stripped from the land.  It just..."

He didn't know how to finish. However, Oliver spoke up, his voice a little distant. "It returned to its infancy."  

Gallio nodded.  "The world is still rebuilding its natural magic, so we are nowhere near the level of our ancestors, but someone like me was able to use holy power. Oddly, my magic became stronger a little over a month ago. Everyone's power did. Now we can do things like this with ease."

Savvi was bouncing a little in his seat.  "What if someone found that seal and unsealed it?"

Oliver tensed for a moment, thinking of the dragon's words. His wish brought him back but changed the world, including magic.

Imran slapped the back of his head. "It would be disastrous if all that magic suddenly flooded into our land again." He shuddered a little. "Besides, the disaster occurred because of an old and terrible enemy of the land.  They would treat it as an invitation to raid our homes if they suddenly see magic of that magnitude appear."

"Kirith," Oliver whispered as he recalled the story of the Anima Wish that Piers told him before he died.

Imran placed his tea on his plate with a trembling clatter. "How did you know that name?"

"Through dangerous means," Oliver said vaguely.

Imran understood that this meant that he nearly died hearing this news, so he didn't press further. "Enough of these dark subjects.  What can I help with."

Oliver's brow creased helplessly as he leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "I seem to have gotten into an annoying predicament."

Imran sat back stiffly. "Did you kill someone unjustly?"

Oliver shook his head. "Nothing like that. I stepped into a trap, and it's a bit troublesome now."

"You purposely stepped in a trap?"

Oliver nodded. "I wanted to confirm my current enemy."

"Was the risk at least fruitful in the end?"

Oliver smiled happily. "It was. However, it wasn't unexpected. They were bound to move against me; I just didn't expect them to act so quickly. Unfortunately, their haste derailed my initial plans."

"And what do you need?"

"Someone to claim I was here for dinner and stayed the night," Oliver said sheepishly. "Of course, this story must be told to the Royal Guards."

Imran laughed heartily and slapped his hand on the armrest. "Such a little thing?"

He called out for his aide, who bowed to the group. "Prepare a room for Oliver and the little Priest."

Gallio huffed. "It's Gallio." He murmured.

Imran looked at him with surprise. "Commodus? Heavens, our house has two important guests then. I feel honored."