49. An Heir

Oliver watched as Quincey fumbled around and muttered curses under his breath. Oliver had lost count of how many times he had cursed Piers, and if his ribs weren't damaged, he probably would have lost control of his laughter. 

Quincey always was headstrong and brash. But he was honest about his feelings, cared deeply for the people around him, and was Oliver's closest friend.

Quincey was always next to him and knew every detail of his life. He knew his struggles when planning for the next battle, his pain when burning another soldier, and his deep hatred for the war.

He also helped mend most of Oliver's wounds, like when the sand drake scarred his face. He had helped Oliver learn how to live with one eye. 

Oliver failed to block an attack during one of his duels with Draco. The tip of Draco's spear slipped past his guard, and the blade pierced deeply into his thigh. The wound never fully healed, and Oliver walked with a limp thereafter. However, Quincey was the one who helped wrap the wound and gain the strength to walk again. 

Quincey had initially protested the constant duels between Oliver and Draco. However, he realized that their duels replaced a battle between armies.  Oliver and Draco sacrificed themselves by challenging each other to one-on-one battles to save the lives of many.

In the last decade of the war, Oliver and Draco were able to reduce the number of battles significantly. So, Quincey had worked hard to practice his sword arts so one day, he could set forward and fight on Oliver's behalf. 

Quincey had only wanted to support his General, but this also meant that he was observant of Oliver. He understood his emotions and fears... and of the things that Oliver wasn't aware of at the time.

Oliver's memory slipped to an old conversation he had. They had discussed Draco many times, with Oliver constantly defending his actions. 

Quincey frowned. "I don't know why you insist on defending the man who maimed your leg. You know nothing about him."

"I know many things about him, especially that he hates this war as much as I do," Oliver answered quietly. "He hates unnecessary death and will regularly pit himself against me so we can save one more life. He cares for his men and watches over them carefully. But he is also heartbroken..."

Oliver paused and thought about how Rucrea was wiped. "How could he not be heartbroken? I wish..." Oliver sighed. "...I wish I could go back in time and change everything."

"We both know that there are no such things as wishes," Quincey said ruefully.

"I know... but if there were, I would find him again in a peaceful time..." Oliver felt slightly embarrassed and let his words trail off. 

Quincey sighed. "When did it happen?"

"What happened?"

"When did you fall for him?" Quincey asked. A smile played at his lips, but it held a trace of pity, knowing that his General could never pursue a relationship with his enemy.

Oliver laughed, ignoring the ache inside him, and took a drink from his flask. "You've been drinking too much."

Oliver had laughed off Quincey's statement then, but he didn't realize that Quincey was the first to understand his heart. He ran his fingers over the branded mark on his hand.

If Quincey asked that question again, he would finally be able to answer sincerely. He had fallen for Draco the moment that he saw him. He had loved him through every battle and every meeting.